Windows Server 2008?

RamGuy

I would like to use server 2008 but I dont like the ugly windows 98 look of the theme it comes with. I was a beta tester of the OS and it was fast but ugly.

install desktop experience from "add features" in server 2008 already built in, it will give you all the fancy vista looks but with better performance compare to vista.

After you apply Vista SP1, both Vista and Win2008 Server run the same kernel, so there's no advantage of 2008 over Vista SP1. And if you want to compare Vista and 2008 Server, I recommend you disable all the bells & whistles in Vista first (ex: remove the widget sidebar, disable Aero).

I'd put money down that Vista and 2008 Server would be equally as fast if you simply setup Vista the same way 2008 server is setup. Nobody is making you use these features, just disable them, don't blame the OS for the differences, it's your config.

Edited by TravisO

After you apply Vista SP1, both Vista and Win2008 Server run the same kernel, so there's no advantage of 2008 over Vista SP1. And if you want to compare Vista and 2008 Server, I recommend you disable all the bells & whistles in Vista first (ex: remove the widget sidebar, disable Aero).

I'd put money down that Vista and 2008 Server would be equally as fast if you simply setup Vista the same way 2008 server is setup. Nobody is making you use these features, just disable them, don't blame the OS for the differences, it's your config.

good point, BUT even if you disable all the bells & whistles in vista, server is still faster, because microsoft took their time and putted more effort on server 2008 in terms of tuning and the way it handles applications and memory management. vista is bloated, microsoft rushed vista to the market. Yes its the same kernal (core) but server is highly tuned for performance stabilty and of course security. i have tested both, server 08 normal install and vista sp1 with vlite to remove almost all bloat components, but still sluggish performance when you install to many application compare to server.

I must agree that server'08 is faster than vista, but i was forced to use vista x64 anyway..

Why you can ask.. the ONLY reason was that I couldn't find any firewall that would be GOOD and work on server'08 :angry:

And yes, you CAN remove components without loosing the components add/remove feature ;)

aviv00's thread

I can confirm that TV tuners do not work under W2k8.

I got a Hauppauge PVR150 running on Windows Server 2008 standard.

First enable Desktop Experience then copy the following AX files from a Vista installation (windows/system32) to the system32 directory on W2K8.

Cut and paste the commands in a batch file to register them.

regsvr32 /s bdaplgin.ax

regsvr32 /s kstvtune.ax

regsvr32 /s ksxbar.ax

regsvr32 /s Mpeg2Data.ax

regsvr32 /s mpg2splt.ax

regsvr32 /s MSDvbNP.ax

regsvr32 /s MSNP.ax

regsvr32 /s psisrndr.ax

regsvr32 /s VBICodec.ax

regsvr32 /s vbisurf.ax

regsvr32 /s WSTPager.ax

i have been running server 2008 for 1 month now. it is is simply the best OS from microsoft since windows 95. dont know why it is so fast and responive knowing that it is the same core as vista. games run so fast loads fast, and application fly's like anything. you can have all the vista effects like looks and feel with desktop experience without any sluggish performance, unlike vista even with most components removed with vlite it still runs slow. server 2008 does not include and bloat application so vliting is no recommended as nuhi mentioned. it is highly tuned for security and performance. IMPORTANT: there is no BDA support, means tv tuner (capture) card will not work on server 2008, apart from that everything works and even the drivers for vista. hope this info helps you

Hi! I'm running server 2008 as well and love it so far but I can't get the image preview to work.... I've set my picture folders to the correct type but it just refuses to preview those images for me in the folder view. I have to manually click each and every file to "see" the images. Help?

Thanks!

In the articles online the 17-20% performance difference was benchmarked with things turned off in Vista and things turned on in Server 2008 (essentially the "Workstation" setup) to make sure they were running the same programs and services.

If it is just as simple as disabling some services and changing some priorities to get Vista to perform the same as Server 2008, would it be possible to create a patch or how to to change the Vista settings to that of Sever "Workstation" 2008?

First enable Desktop Experience then copy the following AX files from a Vista installation (windows/system32) to the system32 directory on W2K8.

regsvr32 /s bdaplgin.ax

regsvr32 /s kstvtune.ax

regsvr32 /s ksxbar.ax

regsvr32 /s Mpeg2Data.ax

regsvr32 /s mpg2splt.ax

regsvr32 /s MSDvbNP.ax

regsvr32 /s MSNP.ax

regsvr32 /s psisrndr.ax

regsvr32 /s VBICodec.ax

regsvr32 /s vbisurf.ax

regsvr32 /s WSTPager.ax

Thank you very much...will have to try.

I work for a Microsoft consulting company, and several of our people are running WS2008 on their laptops because Vista was such a slow, fat, and ugly pig. They are much happier with WS2008 than with Vista. Personally I still run Vista, but may upgrade to server myself.

I have tried to take Vista Business down to the same as Server 2008 when it comes to services and other processes running, but even with vLite, I still use more RAM, and Vista is still slower.

I like Server 2008, and plan on buying a key for the Standrd edition. Newegg has the key only (no media) at a real good price right now.

regsvr32 /s bdaplgin.ax

regsvr32 /s kstvtune.ax

regsvr32 /s ksxbar.ax

regsvr32 /s Mpeg2Data.ax

regsvr32 /s mpg2splt.ax

regsvr32 /s MSDvbNP.ax

regsvr32 /s MSNP.ax

regsvr32 /s psisrndr.ax

regsvr32 /s VBICodec.ax

regsvr32 /s vbisurf.ax

regsvr32 /s WSTPager.ax

Thank you very much...will have to try.

Only analogue TV works. No DVB-T and DVB-S, which are the standard in watching tv