Windows Server 2008?

RamGuy

I've just got my eyes upon the Windows Server 2008..

And rumours claims it to be better then Windows Vista no matter what you are doing on your computer, so it's not just good for servers and companies, but also private persons who do regular stuff and gaming?

Windows Server 2008 is supposed to be the fastest operative system by Microsoft, EVER!

How much truth it's in all of this I have absolutely no idea, to be honest I have never even considered to use a Windows Server edition before.

So what's the difference between Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista?

What is different between the "normal" versions (Windows XP / Vista) and "server" versions (Windows Server 2003 / 2008)

What problems might you run into using a server version?

What benefits do you get from running it?

Does vLite support Windows Server 2008?

And how do you config / tweak Windows Server 2008 to perform optimal for your needs?

So what do you think?

Are these rumours true?

i have been running server 2008 for 1 month now. it is is simply the best OS from microsoft since windows 95. dont know why it is so fast and responive knowing that it is the same core as vista. games run so fast loads fast, and application fly's like anything. you can have all the vista effects like looks and feel with desktop experience without any sluggish performance, unlike vista even with most components removed with vlite it still runs slow. server 2008 does not include and bloat application so vliting is no recommended as nuhi mentioned. it is highly tuned for security and performance. IMPORTANT: there is no BDA support, means tv tuner (capture) card will not work on server 2008, apart from that everything works and even the drivers for vista. hope this info helps you

Why people doesn't use server OS:es as their main OS is mostly a matter of cost.

If you've got the money or in some other (legal) way have the opportunity to use the OS instead of Vista you may very well do so, I probably will when I buy a new comp later this year.

But the info on missing BDA support was nice to know, do you have any more such info?

I think that's basically what the thread starter an others hare would like to know:

Are there any more reasons why you should not use WS2k8 as your workstation OS?

But the info on missing BDA support was nice to know, do you have any more such info?

I would like to know this too, because I think it's a misinformation. In Server 2003, BDA (and/or similar components of DirectX needed for TV tuner) are also not present by default, but when you install the TV Tuner driver, it will "pull" ALL necessary components from driver.cab or directx.cab.

Yeah, I would REALLY like someone to verify this (I don't have 2008, so it might have changed) or is it another myth. I've seen this 'information' (but not any proof) on many other places too.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

I would like to know this too, because I think it's a misinformation. In Server 2003, BDA (and/or similar components of DirectX needed for TV tuner) are also not present by default, but when you install the TV Tuner driver, it will "pull" ALL necessary components from driver.cab or directx.cab.

Yeah, I would REALLY like someone to verify this (I don't have 2008, so it might have changed) or is it another myth. I've seen this 'information' (but not any proof) on many other places too.

GL

i can confirm this that bda is not supported on server 2008. i have 2 different tv tuner card ( one hauppauge and one technotrend), both with WHQL certified drivers that work on vista x86/x64, but not on server, even with directx 9 installed (march 2008). i even tried many third party tv applications, but they do not work. but am sure there is a work around this to get it work. just hoping someone will come with a solution to this.

check this link

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...9&SiteID=17

and this one with a solution to get bda support, but still does not work

http://www.msfn.org/board/Media-Center-on-....html&st=20

hope this help you guys