Vista SP1 gaming edition

gsharad007

Yo,

i was thinking of making a vista sp1 64bit gaming edition, as i still plan to use XP as my main OS for a while longer. i have almost no experience with vista vliteing.

this was basically what i had planned.

1) Slip stream SP1

2) Remove basically everything except whats listed in point 3

3)

3a) DirectX

3b) Windows Media Player Codecs (I think)

3c) Games Explorer (maybe)

3d) ....

i am looking for anything else i shouldn't remove from people who have more experience than me with this. Also i am super busy with work (i am a game programmer :-P) so i will test out a few configs but i won't be able to do extensive testing

Dude, i believe that Windows Server 2008 could be a better gaming os with the removal of some services.

That's true! Gaming could be even better in xp (provided you don't intend to run directx 10 compatible games).

But with server 2008 you might not be able to use vlite!

Dude, i believe that Windows Server 2008 could be a better gaming os with the removal of some services.

did u tested it ?

or have link for that such of test cos im search about that long time

thx

did u tested it ?

or have link for that such of test cos im search about that long time

thx

Windows 2008 are the same with Vista SP1, some UI services are deactivated and some other Server-like that are also included in Vista Enterprise are activated. You have try different configs

That's true! Gaming could be even better in xp (provided you don't intend to run directx 10 compatible games).

There is the alky project aka DirectX 10 on Windows XP!

Alky dosen't work, you just get DirectX 9.0L

Alky dosen't work, you just get DirectX 9.0L

Compiling with DirectX 10 SDK?DirectX 9L is actually Direct X 10, the L is from Longhorn

yes i want DirectX10 gaming thats the whole point. I still will be keeping my super fast xp for regular gaming. not sure if windows 2008 supports DirectX 10

Edited by gsharad007

yes i want DirectX10 gaming thats the whole point. I still will be keeping my super fast xp for regular gaming. not sure if windows 2008 supports DirectX 10

in fact it supports DirectX 10.1

in fact it supports DirectX 10.1

hmm and are games properly compatible. windows 2000 had some compatibility problems which they solved in xp by adding compatibility updates

EDIT:

also searching online it seems Vista SP1 is almost exactly like 2008, with some server stuff enabled and ui stuff disabled. now if i disable everything in vista it would be same as 2008 with everything disabled. also 2008 seems to have the same compatibility issues with games.

Edited by gsharad007

Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 got the exact same kernel, therefore there should not be any compatibility issues other than those we already got in Vista.

Vista SP1 64bit drivers should work flawlessly with Windows Server 2008 64bit, same for Vista SP1 32bit and Windows Server 2008 32bit..

Same goes for Games and applications..

Edited by RamGuy

Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 got the exact same kernel, therefore there should not be any compatibility issues other than those we already got in Vista.

Vista SP1 64bit drivers should work flawlessly with Windows Server 2008 64bit, same for Vista SP1 32bit and Windows Server 2008 32bit..

Same goes for Games and applications..

well in the case of xp over 2000/2003 it used to get regular updates to add compatibility modes for games/apps but they usually used to be games developed for 95/98/Me so not sure if that is still the case but got reports as to CoD4 crashes in 2008 but it also used to crash in vista which they fixed with a patch (compatibility patch??)

since this will be a totally stripped down version it shouldn't be any slower than stripped down 2008.

PS: also i was looking for recommendations from users for what stuff not to remove to allow games to be played