No CD and floppy installation of nlite stripped version of windows xp?

wolfpack122

I need to install windows xp sp2 on a laptop that does not have a floppy drive or a CD drive, but I have an external usb floppy drive and an external usb CD drive.

I can install a normal copy of windows xp sp2 using microsofts 6 floppy boot disks, but I have a small hard disk (6GB) so I'm trying to install a stripped down version of windows xp sp2 using nlite.

The problem with the nlite stripped version (booted using the 6 floppy disks) is that it gives me an error message when copying the setup files which says that it cannot copy a certain file and its not only one file.

Any help is really appreciated.

Forgot to add, I have the latest bios on the laptop and it does not support/have an option to boot from a CD drive.

Edited by wolfpack122

The bios does not support or have an option to boot from a CD drive.

The computer is a Fujitsu Lifebook B-2630.

Is there any way to make the nlite stripped windows boot from dos? like booting a normal windows xp in dos using the winnt.exe? OR To boot a BartPE CD from dos?

OK, I found something called BCDL - Bootable CD Loader http://bootcd.narod.ru/bcdl150z.zip which is supposed to boot a bootable CD through a floppy but it never detects my usb CD drive.

I also have a win98 startup disk that boots into dos with CD support and it always detects my usb CD drive using the panasonic driver (usbaspi.sys).

Is there anyway to edit the BCDL disk to make it load the driver from the win 98 startup disk?

Edited by wolfpack122

About BCDL, you may try reading this thread:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18650

(I left it unfinished as it did not work for USB sticks, and for lack of a USB CD, but maybe it works for USB CD's, see the report by FM_81)

About installing from DOS, unless you haven't removed the corresponding support with nlite, you may use this method:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16713

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 1 year later...

Was this issue ever resolved?

I have a Fujutsu 3500, which only has boot options for Floppy and HDD. I am using the Windows XP floppy set to boot, but this set will not work with any nLite-created Boot CD. It works with the original XP SP2 install CD but not the nLite one.

Is there a way to create a floppy boot set from the nLite version of XP?

I vaguely recall installing Win95 and WinNT from floppies, but I can't remember if the latest used DOS or a preinstall environement. If XP still uses a DOS floppy, see Jaclaz's remark about possibly having remove corresponding support with nLite.

Would it be possible to do a flat install? Boot a DOS floppy and use it to copy the nLited folder to the HDD. Then, using DOS, run the setup file in the folder. Just a crazy idea. Any thoughts? Enjoy, John.

I used to use Smart BootManager on an old 1995 era PC which had a buggy bios and couldn't boot from CD. Installing via dos is messy, it's to do with dos using fat and having to convert to ntfs.

It's possible to use SBM and avoid the hassle of having to boot from floppy every time you reinstall - but it's a fairly complicated process.

Edited by Muppet Hunter