How to Fix: Windows Update fails to install Windows6.0-KB938371-v2-x64

Bilar Crais

Greetings:

I vLited and burned several variations of X64 Business w/SP1 Integrated last night. After getting to the desktop after each install, I checked Windows Update. All updates except one installed correctly ... the Windows Update KB938371, (Ironically, "...enables future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows Vista.") I had installed it successfully through WU several days prior on a Vlite install disc, but now I could not install it - whether through WU or by downloading and attempting a manual install.

Finally, I just integrated the hotfix with Vlite and installed Vista over...this time everything is kosher. There is another hotfix (KB937287) that is described as being for the same purpose as the above hotfix. I could not get that hotfix to integrate, as Vlite called for a reboot in order to attempt integration. Luckily, when that update comes down the WU turnpike, you'll be able to install it properly.

Edited by Bilar Crais

My KB938371 also on x64 was installed just fine. Maybe that install before reinstall had some issue, it worked before for you as well if I understood correctly.

My KB938371 also on x64 was installed just fine. Maybe that install before reinstall had some issue, it worked before for you as well if I understood correctly.

Perhaps, but I forgot to mention that I tried re-installing the very same vLite disc that I know successfully updated that hotfix through WU. It ALSO now would not work properly.

If you type KB938371-V2-x64 into Google, you'll see there a raft of install failures for that particular hotfix. I can't tell you what the difference would be a week later. I wish I could remember what the error code is - it's not the one you see on Google most commonly, it was more like 8000450

Ok but now we are entering the realm of Vista bugs.

If with removed components it works for me and sometimes worked for you, since the issue is reported all over even without vLite that means that sometimes when it doesn't work it is Vista bug.

Ok but now we are entering the realm of Vista bugs.

If with removed components it works for me and sometimes worked for you, since the issue is reported all over even without vLite that means that sometimes when it doesn't work it is Vista bug.

Maybe they've updated the hotfix in the last week and thus broke it. At any rate, my only point is that if folks were planning on Vliting, it might be a good idea to download and integrate that one to save trouble later... ;) I should have clarified that I didn't think that Vlite was responsible for the issue.

Edited by Bilar Crais

Ok.

Btw let me know if you have the MSU link, I only got it from Windows Update. It could be in the CAB form, tried integrating the one from the cache folder but it did not integrate.

Tried it on my install and it worked but when I tried it with your preset it did fail.

Gonna check it out, thx.

edit: works for me because I used upcoming version, let me know if it fails with 1.1.6RC

Edited by nuhi

Guest KrisJ
Tried it on my install and it worked but when I tried it with your preset it did fail.

Gonna check it out, thx.

edit: works for me because I used upcoming version, let me know if it fails with 1.1.6RC

I can confirm this issue. Install of the hotfix failed repeatedly. Oddly enough reinstalling with the very same vLite 1.1.1 modified iso a second time solved it. Presets are attached. The patch installed without a hitch however, I made sure the second time that the update was installed last by disabling it initially and first installing all the other updates available for Vista X64 SP1.

Last_Session_u.zip

hello

I've read a lot about the whole prerequisite updates story

they say you need to have three updates installed in a specific order (KB935509, KB938371 and KB937287) before trying to install the SP1

but I thought this mess wasn't supposed to affect people who would install the SP1 update via the standalone package? :huh:

so what's the solution? do you have to integrate those hotfixes to your Vista DVD, and then slipstream the service pack?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I just did a fresh install of vista ultimate x64 in vmware, with integrated WinVista SP1 All Language Standalone for x64-based Systems (KB936330)

without anything else, and with x64 + the WinVista SP1 All Language Standalone for x64-based Systems (KB936330)

AFTER, then made iso, applied to rebuild only ultimate.

I did check with windows update with the fix+sp1, and it doesnt say that i need to install the KB update anymore, even tho the hotfix in v2 version is both for pre sp1 and sp1.

The Servicepack, offline version NOT windows update version (as in singlefile), does not include the V2 of the KB, so i dont know whats best?

If the system is better served with the v2 of the hotfix FIRST, then slipstream SP1.

I really would like to know what's best.

edit: After thinking about this for about 10 seconds more, lol, i think this patch is also available for presp1 users, so if its ok for them to install it also without sp1, it doesnt exclude sp1 either. Much profit!

Edit 2: I finally got the hotfixed integrated on the image AFTER SP1.

It is 15282780 bytes larger, the entire folder then the folder with hotfix+sp1 (in that order.)

I am kind of tired so dont know if i have made something twice, but i think this is correct.

edit 3: i am trying to integrate it again to see if it vlite accepts it, and it does that, but filesize doesnt increase as much.

I tried to manually install the patch in the vmware with hotfix+sp1, and it didnt accept it there. So i think its safely integrated, even if SP1 came after the v2 hotfix.

edit 4: Someone reply to this already lol,

Vlite apparently reads the vista image as vista With service pack 1, but it doesnt anyway, i mean it doesnt say "(service pack 1)" but the build number 6001. is correct. Im totally confused at this point...

edit 5: My bad, confused it with original sp1 disc. Im going to try and compare it to that instead.

I am leaning in the direction that it IS best to integrate the Windows6.0-KB938371-v2-x?? 1st then SP1, because if you integrate Windows6.0-KB938371-v2-x??

AFTER SP1, vlite will increase the size of the overrall image, which i have seen it do. I will report back when i know this for sure.

I'm too deep into it now to let go... =)

OBVIOUSLY the point here is to optimize Vista Install image as much as possible, not having redundancy in itself.

Edited by TranceEnergy