VPN Connected but...

psb

Hi all,

I've configured VPN access on SBS 2003 R2 and have downloaded the Connection Manager to the client PC (Thinkpad - XP Pro).

When I click to connect to the VPN, I enter the username and password and am able to successfully connect to the server. The client PC is showing as connected to the SBS network.

However, I am unable to use any of the resources on the server. I cannot access files or folders. Any ideas why this is happening and how I might fix it?

Many thanks!

Edited by psb

Thanks for that... how do I do it?

:unsure:

I've also discovered something else. If I access the internet via dial-up, I am able to successfully connect to the server via VPN AND access everything on it... but access via broadband (wireless or ethernet from a different location), the VPN successfully connects but nothing is available. This is strange!

Any help would be very much appreciated

Edited by psb

When you access the VPN through broadband are you connecting through a Cable/DSL router? If so, you may need to enable that traffic to pass through. On a Linksys router go to Security > VPN and enable all three options.

Yes, I'm connecting via a router.

So does this mean that if the client PC is working remotely, the router is uses will have to have ports open to allow VPN?

It's quite obvious when you think about it, but I hadn't really considered beyond my current network and assumed it would function.

Thanks for that... how do I do it?

In most cases you can't change the subnet of the VPN. To change the subnet of the LAN, use a browser to open the router setup screen, (use the 'default gateway' address), and search for DHCP server settings. It will probably give addresses in the 10.0.0.x range, or 192.168.0.x range. Change that to 10.0.1.x or 192.168.1.x or something like that.