[SOLVED] My Vista Screen Resolusion

ricktendo

Hey guys I recently decided to see how Vista ran on my PC, I only have one problem... I have a amsung SyncMaster 591s/591v [15" CRT] (under XP) could go up to 1152x864

But now under Vista (with the same drivers installed) I can only achieve 1024x768

Does anybody know of a program that runs on Vista that can force set it to a higher rez?

I tried this but it did not happen

Change Screen Resolution

The biggest change to screen resolution in Vista is that not all resolutions are displayed by default. Vista simply displays the resolution it thinks will be suitable for your monitor. This is based upon on the assumption that monitor size decided screen resolution as follows:

15 Inch Monitor Resolution 1024x768

17-19 Inch monitor Resolution 1280x1024

20+ Inch Monitor Resolution 1600x1200

While you can slightly alter these resolution - downwards rather than upwards - in order to increase the resolution above these figures you need to change a few settings.

1/ Right click on the desktop

2/ From the drop down menu click Personalize

3/ In the Personalize window click the Display Settings link

4/ To reduce the screen resolution adjust the slider until the desired resolution shows

5/ If you wish to increase the resolution above the default; and you must remember that your monitor must support this new resolution, then click the Advanced Settings button

6/ In the Advanced Settings window click the Monitor Tab. In the monitor tab window remove the tick mark from the 'hide modes that this monitor cannot display', then click Apply followed by OK

7/ An extended display resolution range should now be available on the Monitor tab. All you need do now is slide the resolution slider up to your desired resolution and then click OK

Edited by ricktendo64

When you're under the advanced settings, under "Monitor type", does it say "Samsung SynchMaster" or "Generic PnP Monitor"?
Yep

monzq6.jpg

From what I read in that article Vista decides, it does not let the driver decide. Here are the max resolution reg entries of the monitor driver's INF

HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1152,864"

regfi1.jpg

BTW I am using these drivers for chipset and grafix (I hope they are the latest)

- 169.25_forceware_winvista_32bit_english_whql.exe

- nforce_winvista32_15.01_international.exe

Edited by ricktendo64

Understood - but what would happen if you changed the monitor's type in device manager to Generic PnP as a test? I've seen Dell monitor drivers cause the same issues (even though the .inf specs state a higher res), whereas the Generic PnP works just fine.

You guys were right, it IS my grafix card and not my monitor drivers. I uninstalled it and when I performed the steps above (unchecking 'hide modes that this monitor cannot display') I could finally move my resolution up to my old XP one

But when Microsoft Update takes ahold and update my drivers then it goes back to 1024x768

I was also reading the chm file for my drivers and found this

NOTE: For Windows Vista – Support for some features under Windows Vista is under development and may not be available with your ForceWare graphics driver version. Consult the release notes for updated information on supported features.