Recovering Win2K Partition

Well long time no see! I hope spring is knocking loudly on everyones door :yes:

I seem to have lost my Win2k partition - and with it all my moms email - bad, bad - but even worse I need to recover a VERY important birthday project that I spent months creating as a surprise which resides in the now "vaporised" Documents folder of Win2k...

I am begging here....

The details: I recently learned how to set up a dual-boot system so that I might try and get used to a new o/s (I love my tweaked 98 shamelessly thank to axcel and the folks here!) All seemed good for the first few months but the other night after an unannounced shutdown when I tried to boot into my Win2K I got the "Windows 2000 can not start, <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt." error. Which I was not afraid of because I have learned a few things here and replacing a file in dos mode isn't as scary as it used to be... until I tried it, and it failed because apparently my Win2k is gone? At least that how it looked when I rebooted into my Win98 side and had a look at the drive. That drive is now called "♥+RPVæ5ө□Ė╦" and has two equally strangely named files on it.

I tried using my 4 floppies (Win2K Pro) to get to repair /recovery and run chkdsk but no luck - it just keeps telling me "program cannot be run in dos mode". I tried to run a copy of chkdsk from my Win98 side but that was a no go as well. So I ran scandisk from Win98 and got these:

Errors.jpg

I'm worried about letting scandisk fix the errors on that drive in case it deletes my project files and moms email.

The other thing I read was possibly the boot.ini was corrupt - I did try "fixboot" but it made no difference. I did not try "fixmbr" because I don't know if that could ruin my 98 install? My boot.ini does not look like the dual boot.ini's I have seen online - is it supposed to look like this?:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=signature(26cggbeg)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

signature(26cggbeg)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

why does it say "signature(26cggbeg)" instead of multi(0)?

I could really use some guidance as I know absolutely nothing about Win2K Pro and it's issues, except reading that it didn't like being installed on partitions larger than 7.8GB... but if that was the case here wouldn't it have gotten corrupted sooner? Is this corruption?

I'm not sure what other information is relevant so here's what I can think of:

The Win98 install is unaffected, it is on a the first partition of a 40GB drive (2X20) as master. The Win2k is on the first partition of a 160GB drive(20X70X70) as slave. I have ran Powermax on the 160 and it tests fine.

System Specs:

AMD Sempron 2600

ECS 741GX-M

SIS Chipset 741GX/964L

Soundblaster Live! 24bit

Radeon Excalibur 7000 (HiS powered by ATI) 64mb DDR

1GB Kingston KVR400X64C3A Ram

Maxtor Diamondmax 40GB master C: 98se (20GB) E: storage (20GB)

Maxtor Diamondmax 160GB slave D: Win2k (20GB) F: storage (70GB) G: storage (70GB)

LG 4160B Super-Multi Drive master

Dual Booting Win98SE/Win2K Pro

Please please please someone help I am suddenly on a new learning curve without training wheels!!!

PS - in case anyone wonders how come the "crazy drive" has so many characters in the name, I named the C drive "Old Font" and the Win2K drive "Windows2000" to make finding stuff simpler for my mom since dual booting with 5 partitions wasn't an easy change for her :wacko:

Edited by 2Turtles

OK, STOP fiddling with the drive NOW.

NEVER, NEVER and I mean NEVER use a win9x utility on a later OS formatted/partitioned HD unless you know what you are doing.

Try using TESTDISK:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

(the DOS version from your Win98 "side") to ONLY check what it sees and report.

If you are lucky the corruption may be limited to MBR/partition table only and thus fixable by TESTDISK.

Generally speaking, when you have such "random" letters on a drive name, there can also be a problem with the connection of the hard disk, trying re-seating the cable connectors or, better even, change the cable with a spare one, it won't make any harm anyway.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks so much for the reply jaclaz - I tried right away a new cable but it did not work so I have downloaded and run the TestDisk as you said from Win98. But I do not really understand it I don't think. Analyze shows this:

1 * FAT32 LBA 0 1 1 3734 254 63 60002712 [NO NAME]

2 E extended LBA 3735 0 1 19928 254 63 260156610

5 L FAT32 3735 1 1 11831 254 63 130078242 [DSK1_VOL2]

X extended 11832 0 1 19928 254 63 130078305

6 L FAT32 11832 1 1 19928 254 63 130078242 [DSK1_VOL3]

When I selected [Deeper] It just shows 3 partitions all green - says the first is bootable with no name, the second fat32 Disk1_vol1, and the 3rd fat32 Disk2_Vol2.

* FAT32 LBA 0 1 1 3734 254 63 60002712 [NO NAME]

FAT32, 30 GB / 28 GiB

L FAT32 LBA 3735 1 1 11831 254 63 130078242 [DSK1_VOL2]

FAT32, 66 GB / 62 GiB

L FAT32 LBA 11832 1 1 19928 254 63 130078242 [DSK1_VOL3]

FAT32, 66 GB / 62 GiB

When I ask it to show me the files on the first partition it shows me the two "crazy folders" that I can see from win 98, plus the recycle bin and the ntoskrnl.exe file I put there hoping somehow it would be happy to see it! Moms emails and my missing project is on that first part with Win2k in Documents, the other two parts are just storage of music and photos and are still readable from Win98.

I have not done anything to the drive partition since it happened except copy that one file to it and attempt the "fixboot" as I said earlier and now changing the cable - I did not do anything else with Testdisk since I don't really know what I should do. Testdisk did say it must have the drive size correct to work and it saw this:

Disk 81 - 163 GB / 152 GiB - CHS 317632 16 63

LBA size=320173056

It is a 160GB Maxtor, I know that that is relative to more specific math - is TestDisk getting the right size do you think? I told Testdisk to make the log file if it would help - it might as well be those crazy characters for all I understand it though! I will post it or can email if you want to see it?

Thanks again for any advice, I am so grateful!

Get on a different machine and assemble a PE. Use it to copy data from the drive.

If you don't have an XP license, use the Microsoft trial version of Windows Server 2003.

I recommend Ultimate Boot CD 4 Win as your PE creator.

Trail of 2003.

Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.

There are also bootable Linux distros that could accomplish this as well... all you're looking to do is mine some data and copy what you can.

Ah, the joys of dual-booting! It appears that all your partitions are formatted in FAT. It also sounds like the partition table in your W2K installation got pooched. If so, it will give scrambled names like you see and would explain the bootlaoder failure. The W2K boot files reside on the first partition (the W98 one here) and the boot.ini file contains the information and pointers. First check that the info inside there is okay. If so, then where it is pointing is returning gobbled inforamation in the form of the crazy names.

If you have a copy of Acronis Disk Director or Disk Editor, you'll be able to copy the uncorrupted second FAT to the beginning of the partition and you should be able to read it again. Almost any disk editor can do this in cluding older versions of Norton tools (NOrton Disk Editor) and even UltraEdit. It is most likely in the first 512 bytes where the error is. Even if ScanDisk does fix the error, it will drive you crazy with file fragments renamed. A repair install is a possibility, but very well may not see any installation there and will just act like a new install, wiping previous data.

Follow the suggestion for recovering any usable data and get it off that drive first. You could try a utility like Recuva or SoftPerfect File Recovery, both free and non-invasive. R-Studio is another good one and may work in the trial mode, but is a paid program. Without a healthy partition table you will run into problems whatever you do, so I'd aim to restore that first if you can. It is one reason there is a second copy there in the first place.

Good luck with it. Let us know what happens.

Some good news, and some bad ones.

The good ones first, you seem to have NO problems with connection, the only REALLY "wrong" thing is the geometry of the drive:

LBA size=320173056

you should get something like:

Disk 81 - 163 GB / 152 GiB - CHS 19930 255 63

LBA size=320173056

A large disk, actually ANY disk above 8Gb manufactured in the last few years, should be detected as having a CHS Geometry of nx255x63 geometry.

Please try correcting the geometry as above, re-run testdisk and report.

It is very rare that testdisk "sees" a wrong geometry, this makes me think that there is a problem in some BIOS setting, do check that detection if second hard disk is set to AUTO. :unsure:

Now the bad ones, this wrong geometry should not affect the First partition, that starts at CHS 0/1/1, so there might also be problems in the bootsector of that partition.

I think that partitions can still be recovered, but I suspect that it might be a long and tricky process.

Have you got or can download a hex editor (or, BETTER, viewer) capable of accessing directly the HD from Win9x or DOS and saving single sectors as a file ?

Here you can find some links:

http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/tool/FreeTools.html

Even a screenshot of the bootsector taken in either PTEDIT32 (link on the listed page) or beeblebrox:

http://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/

could be enough for the moment, but I actually would like to have a look at (i.e. have a copy of) sector 64 on the disk, (aka bootsector of first partition).

Since it is a FAT32 partition, if it was originally formatted by a "proper" program, there is a copy of the bootsector at relative sector 6, aka absolute sector 70, I'd like to see that one too.

On the other hand, if you have only little valuable data on the drive, you can try using PHOTOREC (included in TESTDISK) to recover just the files....

jaclaz

Hi everyone, thank you for all of your input :) I am so glad there are people who are willing to help and not just say "Stoping using all the old stuff and get XP or Vista!" Changing o/s wouldn't get my files back nor would it miraculously help me to suddenly understand a new o/s and all it's quirks!

fdv

Get on a different machine and assemble a PE. Use it to copy data from the drive.

Sorry to sound dumb here but I don't know what a "PE" is...

DonDamm

The W2K boot files reside on the first partition (the W98 one here) and the boot.ini file contains the information and pointers. First check that the info inside there is okay. If so, then where it is pointing is returning gobbled inforamation in the form of the crazy names.

I did put my boot.ini file up in my first post - I don't know if that is what it is supposed to look like or not though - this is my first time with dual-boot and I don't remember at all what it originally looked like when I changed the timeout to 30 secs so my mom would have time to remember where she wanted to work.

I have to fix this because I 'm the one who told her we could use newer software if we switched (this is all because I really wanted google earth and it won't work with 98) and that Win2K would be more secure if we were going to be online more! I thought the transition would be smooth(er) - it sort of was, until this...

jaclaz: I think I am to blame for the wrong geometry report as I copied it from the log file here (red) when it should have likely been here (green)

Dos version (ext2fs lib: 1.40.2, ntfs lib: 10:0:0, reiserfs lib: 0.3.1-rc8, ewf lib: none)

Disk 80 - 8414 MB / 8024 MiB - CHS 1023 255 63

Disk 80 Enhanced BIOS 1.x - R/W/I

Computes C from number of sectors

LBA 80293248, computed 80293248 (CHS=79655,15,63)

hd_identify_enh_bios

Disk 80 - 41 GB / 38 GiB - CHS 79656 16 63

LBA size=80293248

Disk 81 - 8414 MB / 8024 MiB - CHS 1023 255 63

Disk 81 Enhanced BIOS 1.x - R/W/I

Computes C from number of sectors

LBA 320173056, computed 320173056 (CHS=317631,15,63)

hd_identify_enh_bios

LBA size=320173056

disk_read_aux: Don't read after the end of the disk

Hard disk list

Disk 80 - 41 GB / 38 GiB - CHS 4998 255 63, sector size=512

Disk 81 - 163 GB / 152 GiB - CHS 19929 255 63, sector size=512

Disk 81 - 163 GB / 152 GiB

Partition table type: Intel

Analyse Disk 81 - 163 GB / 152 GiB - CHS 19929 255 63

Geometry from i386 MBR: head=255 sector=63

FAT32 at 0/1/1

When I checked the bios it was set to AUTO for the 160GB and LBA for the 40GB. I changed the 160 to [CHS] but all the numbers remained the same as in [AUTO] so I changed it to [LBA] just to see, then the numbers were different. So I ran Testdisk like that - it was exactly the same report, when I compared the 2 logfiles side by side I see you are right Testdisk did not see the wong geometry it must have been my error from above.

Sorry to have to say that I don't understand a lot of what you guys are saying because on a scale of 1-10 my computer language skills are around about 2. What I am really, is good at following directions very precisely - which is how I got my RollsRoyce98 - created by reading MdgX pages and coming here when I hit a road block :thumbup

but I actually would like to have a look at (i.e. have a copy of) sector 64 on the disk, (aka bootsector of first partition).

Since it is a FAT32 partition, if it was originally formatted by a "proper" program, there is a copy of the bootsector at relative sector 6, aka absolute sector 70, I'd like to see that one too.

On the other hand, if you have only little valuable data on the drive, you can try using PHOTOREC (included in TESTDISK) to recover just the files....

I don't have a hex editor or viewer but I will get which ever program you want me to so you can see sector 64 or anything else you need - if you tell me which program to use to copy it for you I will do it tonight.

I don't know if the formatting program was a "proper" program - I used Powermax as that is what I used for my other Maxtor drive, I did select Win2k as the o/s when Powermax asked.

I do know that all the partitions are FAT32 because I always choose that option. Here is exactly how this dual boot was set up.

Original 40GB drive, 2x20 Fat32 partitions. C: [Win98se and Programs] ---------- D: [storage]

Then I added a brand new 160GB drive partitioned into 3 Fat32 - 20x70x70 by Powermax (seagate tool for new maxtor drives)E:,F:,G:

Next Installed Win2k Pro from Win98 onto the first partition (E:) of the 160GB drive (which was renamed (D:) by one of the o/s once the install finished)

So now I have Old Front [win98] (C:) ?+RPVæ5??Ė- [win2k] (D:) Old Back[storage] (E:) DISK1_VOL2[storage] (F:) DISK1_VOL3[storage] (G:)

When I read to leave win98 first and then install win2k it did not say they had to reside on the same drive - so I assumed it was ok, and since it has worked it must have been... or was that a fluke? I test drove it for a few weeks, then added SP4. Other than 4 or 5 random reboots without warning over about 4 months it seemed to be fine. I blamed the reboots on the computer but it never happens when I'm using win98 so now I think that was a mistake. Explorer says the partition is full with only 199MB free space, that is impossible - it is a 20GB partition and so far there is only Win2k, a few small programs and my 70 pages which are 90% text and 10% jpgs. There can't be more than 2 or 3GB on there and I doubt even that much.

The most important data are moms email (thunderbird) and even more my 70 pages of Open Office files, a project I have worked on for months and do not have anywhere else - I am so dumb for keeping them in the Win2k "My Documents" folder but I wanted it to be a suprise so I didn't want anyone else to see them before I was finished - I am the administrator and everyone else has access to all the other partitions. The Open Office files are ".odt" extention and it looks like PHOTOREC can only see .doc files?

If you are willing jaclaz then I am prepared to do whatever it takes to save those files - just give me your orders :yes:

You are all quite wonderful, I thank you so much for trying to help!

I have downloaded both programs, Beeblebox and PTEDIT32 - the link for original Beeblebox download was not working so I got the one from sourceforge I tried to run it but obviously I am doing something wrong. PTEDIT32 seemed to work but all the boxes are grayed out so I am not sure how to get the information you want to see. Here are the screenshots:Image1.jpg

the runlog.txt for beeblebox is blank after the error...

Is this because I should do it in DOS mode?

It's strange, I just tested the download you should have made for beeblebrox:

http://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/

http://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/bbdownload.html

http://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/beeblebrox9xsetup.zip

and it works for me, however PTEDIT32 seems to be working allright.

The project on sourceforge is Java (sic) rewrite of the original beeblebrox, left unfinished.

Geometry is confirmed 19929/255/63

The MBR data appears to be NOT correct.

The LBA data of first partition 60002712 corresponds to a partition of about 30 Gbytes, more exactly to 30.721.388.544 bytes.

The CHS data of the same partition leads to a size of about 5 Gbytes, more exactly 5.453.328.384 bytes.

Please re-run PTEDIT 32 and post screenshots:

1) after having selected the first (primary) partition and pressed the "BOOT Record" button

2) after having selected second (extended)partition and pressed the "GOTO EPBR" button

3) after having selected first of the two lofical partitions and pressed the "BOOT Record" button

4) after having selected first of the two logical partitions and pressed the "BOOT Record" button

Make sure, when using the BOOT record to select the proper partition type, FAT16 (type 06 or 0e) FAT32 (type 0b or 0c) or NTFS (type 07)

jaclaz

I have looked at explorer to confirm the win2k 160GB drive partition sizes - it reports as 28.5x62x62 so I must have remembered wrong - I am very sorry for that error. I opened the computer up and for sure the maxtor says 160GB though, that part is correct. I have re-run PTEDIT and collected the screenshots - they are of the 160GB drive - is this the (primary) partition you mean or was I supposed to do this from the win98 partition because it was the first o/s I had?

Please re-run PTEDIT 32 and post screenshots:

1) after having selected the first (primary) partition and pressed the "BOOT Record" button

PTE-1.gif

2) after having selected second (extended)partition and pressed the "GOTO EPBR" button

PTE-2.gif

3) after having selected first of the two lofical partitions and pressed the "BOOT Record" button

4) after having selected first of the two logical partitions and pressed the "BOOT Record" button

I don't think you meant for 3) and 4) to say the same thing? If #4 is "select 2nd of the two logical partitions..." then the "Boot Record" button goes greyed-out...

PTE-3.gif

Make sure, when using the BOOT record to select the proper partition type, FAT16 (type 06 or 0e) FAT32 (type 0b or 0c) or NTFS (type 07)
PTEDIT says all partitions on all drives are FAT32X until I click "EPBR" then they say FAT32, I did not change the FAT32X- should I have?

Today finally was able to connect after a long wait and I have downloaded the proper beeblebox now - so if you prefer that one I can run it.

Yes, sorry, I copied and pasted line above and failed to correct it :blush:, I meant

4) "select 2nd partition", press the "GOTO EPBR" and press the "BOOT Record" button.

Partition data appears to be a bit mixed on the CHS side, but since access is through LBA, that should not cause problems.

The good news is that the 1st partition boot sector of first partition appears to hold correct data.

So, the problem has to lie in FAT.

I will check and get back to you with (hopefully) some tests to make.

Should it be necessary (it is however advisable) could you afford buying a new drive 160 Gb or more to make a copy of the corrupted hard drive data?

Do you have any other machine wth Windows 2K or Windows XP installed where you can attach the corrupted drive?

Or could you if needed build a PE (Pre-install Environment) CD through BartPE Pebuilder or Winbuilder on some machine running 2K or XP?

jaclaz

P.S.: .odt seems to be on the list of "known" files for Photorec:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File_Format...red_By_PhotoRec

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File_Format...PhotoRec#Office

P.P.S.:it seems like the Convar utility File Recovery can run on win98 too:

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recov....htm?language=1

it would be next thing to try.

Both Photorec and PC File Recovery are "safe" (unless you copy/install them on the corrupted drive) as they will recover data on "another" drive.

Another thing that you can try is using the "FAT recovery" feature of TESTDISK, but ONLY after you have a backup copy of the whole drive:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Advanced_FA...pair_FAT_tables

Edited by jaclaz

here it is PTE-4.gif

I am glad to hear some good news as I have been a bit down about this business. Unfortunately I cannot afford another drive, I had to beg for this 160 last year and was none too popular when it could be had for nearly half price 6 months later :} My aunt does have an XP machine that I may be able to connect the corrupted drive to - but that depends on how long she would have to be without her computer, she is on it about 10 hours a day/7 days a week and won't be willing to let it go for more than 1 day. I don't know how to make one yet, but would be willing to learn to build a Pre-install Environment if needed - I would try to make it from my aunts XP(Pro) computer.

Thank you for the PHOTOREC link (I had only read the readme that came with the program which did not have such an extensive list!) I am more hopeful now :) - I have started it but then stopped it because I didn't know if it was a bad idea to save the recovered files to a different partition on the same drive. I don't have enough space on my 40GB left to recover the whole 28GB partition - but I think I know why it says there is so much stuff on there when there shouldn't be hardly any at all. The first 7 files PHOTOREC recovered (before running out of space on C: drive) were 6 mpgs and 1 cab. I never put or even had any mpgs on the win2k partition so I opened 1 with IrfanView to see what it was - it was a piece of a dvd I had burned, I'm not sure why it should be on the o/s partition when my NERO temp folders are deliberately redirected to the storage partitions. Anyway I changed PHOTOREC options to ignore mpg files since I don't care about them. Also interesting - I extracted the .cab file PHOTOREC found and it had ntoskrnl.exe in it? But possibly that is just the file I put on the drive and PHOTOREC just packed it up... I am hoping now that there will be plenty of room on my C: drive for the missing email and documents if they aren't mangled. I am worried about having written those 2 files to that partition when I was first trying to put ntoskrnl back, as PHOTOREC says specifically NOT to write to it - hopefully they weren't big enough to wreck too much.

Going to try PHOTOREC again, wish me luck!

Just a side note:

Win98 and Win2000 may not support fully a 160 GB drive out of the box.

Massstorage driver has to use 48-bit LBA.

E.g. Win2000 atapi.sys require a registry setting http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098/

Without this, data corruption is possible.

Yes I knew about win98 and have long ago fixed up this system with the solution found here on this forum - it has worked perfectly for me :thumbup

here is the link for anyone who might need the fix-up ---> http://www.msfn.org/board/Enable48BitLBA-Break-the-137Gb-barrier-t78592.html

I didn't know that Win2K had similar issues however so thank you for the link I shall read up on it - cheers!

So I let PHOTOREC do it's thing - it ran for about 5 hours and then shut itself down with this error:Photorec-1.gif

it has recovered a few thousand files but only 3.odt files and they aren't readable. There seems to be some issues - for instance it finds html files and labels them as such but it also found hundreds of text files only when I look at them they are in fact html code not documents. It has found a few .doc files but they are not readable either... Mostly the files look like the scrambled characters in my wrecked drives name and long rows of black rectangles. A few of the unknowns sort of look like they might be email format but I'm only guessing. There are even some .gif files that are 50,000KB in size and when I opened them in Paintshop Pro they were just tiny arrow images only 14x14 pixels - impossible for them to be more than a few KB in reality, so something is wonky.

Is autochek for XP the same as Win2k? If I were to slave the drive over there could it fix the errors enough to help PHOTOREC finish the recovery and maybe get the files readable? I will wait for directions as I am unsure what best to try next...

Most part of the success rate of recovery on a drive at file level (i.e. when File Allocation Table or other indexing structure has gone beserk) is related to how fragmented was the volume, if the volume was heavily fragmented, chances are smaller.

Basically such programs "catalog" anything from a known header up to the next known header as a file of given type....making some checks and "guessing" a lot...

...each program has it's own better or worse feature, as they use different algorithms.

I asked about a 2K/XP as most "recent" Commercial software will not work on 9x, though there are quite a few Linux ones, but I have no experience with them.

As said, trying the Convar free program won't make any harm and may be able to succeed where Photorec failed.

There are lots of programs, most Commercial, but the pre-requisite is to be able to have at least one (better if two) images of the drive and work on them, as some may change filesystem structure and if the result is not working there is no way back.

Here are some listed:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Data-recovery-tool-t84345.html

There are also chances for a "manual" recovery of a few files, but it needs "professional" skills and lots of time...if you do not succeed (without altering the data) you may want to consider the use of a data recovery service.

jaclaz