HDMI: Projector vs TV

XtremeMaC

hi therei'm thinking of getting either a projector or a tv. i'll watch dvd's, play games on ps3 and wii.since they all use hdmi I need to get a hdmi capable projector/Tv.has anyone got a hdmi projector? if so are they as good as a plasma/lcd tv? i'm seeing 4000-10000:1 contrast ratios on projectors, they sound nice but how would one compare them to Tv's?the reason why I'm considering a projector is because its smaller and i might change its place or take it to a friends house...but if its not worth buying a projector please do tell ;)Thanks! ps i know this is a computer related software but i know most of u, use these.

price wise, get a tv, projectors are good yes, hell we have one in every classroom here (like most schools now).

BUT, price wise, get a TV, you havent gotta dish out on new bulbs now and then which cost you a few hundred.

I have put my PC through a projector a number of times to play games on etc, it is nice, but not sommit I coudl do all the time.

well i'm not talking about the projectors in schools. they're at max $200 and they suck at showing moving objects. their max resolution is 640x480 or 800x600. the ones that i'm talking about are 1280x1024+ ones. and believe me there are insane projecters out there that cost $40.000!!!

look at this for example: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

many suggested that i get this: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

6000:1 contrast ratio, that page is poor with specs but the projector is pretty good from what i've gathered from the net and dealers.and a lcd or plasma screen that is as big as the projector's is like 5x the price.

Edited by XtremeMaC

• 2 weeks later...

you're paying a pretty penny for those projectors, and there's a lot more to consider over a traditional TV. Ambient lighting is a major concern because is projecting an image instead of just displaying one, so the darker the room the better. Washing out the image is such a snap and it doesn't take a lot of light to do it.

as mentioned, the bulb burnout. as i understand it, the bulbs should be good for a few thousand hours (5k iirc), and they're not cheap to replace.

if you have the money, it displays a big picture that's very detailed, so it's not a bad way to go if you can