Windows 98 SE incomplete shutdown (due to the network card!?)

Alb

Hello,

I started in using again my daughter's old PC (Pentium III 500 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Windows 98 SE o.s. Italian version).

I added some applications (Regseeker for registry maintenance, Clamwin antivirus, Filseclab firewall, Spybot S&D) and, first, I uninstalled Internet Explorer, by means of IEradicator 2001 (www.litePC.com), second, I reinstalled it as a stand alone browser. At last I installed the Unofficial Win 98 SE Service Pack 2.1 c v2 ITA (it's an Italian version of the similar English one, containing updates and hot fixes).

At the end of the procedure I noticed that Windows doesn't shutdown correctly any longer as the electric power doesn't switch off with a black screen and a flahing dash on the upper left corner of it.

I made a test and noticed that if I disable the hardware profile of the Network Card (Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC) the shutdown is performed correctly.

I wonder how that didn't happen before and what is the relationship between some applications and a piece of hardware like my network card.

Any help is wellcome.

Best Regards

You try this utils: WinExit Package

Copy unpacked files to Windows directory, reboot computer and you try to run (Start - Run): Shutdown or Shutdown_Force

Hello,

I tried Shutdown and Windows showed the shutdown message but hanged ... Then I tried Shutdown_Force and Windows closed, but electric power remained switched on with the PC fans working, exactly the same that happens when I normally choose the shutdown command in the menu.

I think that what I need should be a script that disables the network card before shutting down and re-enables it at the beginning of the next Windows session.

Best Regards

You try this utils: WinExit Package

Copy unpacked files to Windows directory, reboot computer and you try to run (Start - Run): Shutdown or Shutdown_Force

Hello,

I tried Shutdown and Windows showed the shutdown message but hanged ... Then I tried Shutdown_Force and Windows closed, but electric power remained switched on with the PC fans working, exactly the same that happens when I normally choose the shutdown command in the menu.

I think that what I need should be a script that disables the network card before shutting down and re-enables it at the beginning of the next Windows session.

Best Regards

You try run: net use /delete

and next run Exit