AV Prog to replace AVG7.5 for 98 S.E

Can anyone please recommend a decent Anti Virus program that is still supported for 98 S.E

Apart from AVG that will loose support in August 2008, and I already know about Avast 4.8

I am looking for a program to replace AVG due to the support being lost soon, and Avast has memory problems with the quick launch icons disappearing when running a scan.

So at the end of the day I am searching for a decent AV prog that does not run away with to much resource, and that will install, update definitions, and run under Windows 98 S.E.

Can anyone help and give any much needed advice please.

Many thanks

:rolleyes:

NOD32 v2.7 supports 98, I can't find the trial version on their site, but it is still available at:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_nod32/3021/

I do still see 2.7 available in the members page, so you can purchase it and get commercial version for 98. I don't know if they still support it, but it does still use the newest virus definitions and they are still offering it, so it's not totally abandoned yet.

PS: I realize you were using free solutions, but keep in mind you get what you pay for. I've seen PCs running these free AVs and a virus crippled the AV and infected the system.

Edited by TravisO

PS: I realize you were using free solutions, but keep in mind you get what you pay for. I've seen PCs running these free AVs and a virus crippled the AV and infected the system.

I understand what you say, but not all free AV progs are that bad, AVG was great until it announced it's dropping support come August 08.

Avast is still supporting 98 also, but it has problems with 98 as mentioned earlier.

You mention about you get what you pay for which is correct, but with many vendors now dropping their support for old operating systems one begins to wonder if it's safe paying for something that just might not last.

but with many vendors now dropping their support for old operating systems one begins to wonder if it's safe paying for something that just might not last.

But on the other hand, software doesn't rot, and as long as you still get daily (NOD32 updates multiple times a day) virus updates, that's pretty darn good support. It's fairly cheap, like $30/yr first year and $20/yr after that and occasionally there are sales on SlickDeals.net if you search the forums. IIRC I know 2.7 registration codes work in 3.0, so I would assume the opposite is true (NOD32 doesn't charge you separately for the program, once you subscribe you get all updates & version (of the product you bought) for free, unlike Norton which charges you for upgrades AND virus definitions aka double dipping.

Edited by TravisO

About 2 years ago I loaded up an old copy of Norton 2002 to see if it was still being updated, and it did update ok. If someone has Norton 2002, could they see if ti still updates it self... I would, but with me being stuck on dial up out here in the woods, it will take me a while to see...

About 2 years ago I loaded up an old copy of Norton 2002 to see if it was still being updated, and it did update ok. If someone has Norton 2002, could they see if ti still updates it self... I would, but with me being stuck on dial up out here in the woods, it will take me a while to see...

Any you guys ever tried Avast?

I did on an XP box and it ran slow... But on your first post you said it has memory issues... So I don't think I'd want to load it on my machine and have it crash it.

But on your first post you said it has memory issues... So I don't think I'd want to load it on my machine and have it crash it.

Well we don't know if it's memory or resource issues as many people disagree about this.

The "RAM optimization" type programs do more harm than good.

"RAM Optimizers have no effect, and at worst, they seriously degrade performance. Although gaining more available memory might seem beneficial, it isn't. As RAM Optimizers force the available-memory counter up, they force other processes' data and code out of memory. Say that you're running Word, for example. As the optimizer forces the available-memory counter up, the text of open documents and the program code that was part of Word's working set before the optimization (and was therefore present in physical memory) must be reread from disk as you continue to edit your document. The act of allocating, then freeing a large amount of virtual memory might, as a conceivable side effect, lead to blocks of contiguous available memory. However, because virtual memory masks the layout of physical memory from processes, processes can't directly benefit from having virtual memory backed by contiguous physical memory. As processes execute and undergo working-set trimming and growth, their virtual-memory-to-physical-memory mappings will become fragmented despite the availability of contiguous memory."

Sources: Page 1 and Page 2.

Mark Russinovich is definitely the best and most reliable source for Windows Internals.

Windows 95, 98 and Me are no longer supported. Your safest bet would be upgrading your OS. You'll get so much more security and stability. Even if you need to upgrade your hardware. You can still get Windows XP and it would be a small price to pay in the long run and be a very wise investment.

Well, this 98 box is just a machine to BS around on.... my real computer runs a modified version of Slackware Linux... Once XP came out I got away from windows except for repairing other people's computers. I can't stand how id*** proof XP and Vista is... drives me nuts. And done get me started on how bloated they are.

On a side note, I'm going to be installing Avast 4.8 on this 98 box I have and see how it runs... maybe some of the user made updates fixed a few problems with it...