XP Home to XP Pro upgrade conflict

psb

Hi all,

I am trying to add a client computer to my SBS 2003 network. The client laptop I'm trying to add is running XP home, which is incompatible with SBS, so I have purchased a XP Professional Upgrade.

The problem:

When I try and install I get the following error: "The language of this installation of Windows differs from the one you are installing. The option to upgrade will not be available."

The client laptop is an italian machine, so this is causing the problem. The user of the PC is bilingual and would prefer the PC in English, so it isnt essential that XP pro is in italian. How can I get past this conflict so that I can install XP Pro?

We don't want to change the laptop and it's has so much stuff on there it would be complete pain to change. If I installed a full copy of XP Pro (not upgrade), would this solve the issue? Would the laptop retain everything?

In summary, I need a practical solution that would enable me to install XP pro on the laptop without losing anything. Help! :wacko:

Thanks in advance

Full version is the way to go. Beyond the language issue unless the upgrade you have is on an old license the upgrade does not go from home to pro. Microsoft changed there upgrades so they only go Home to Home or Pro to Pro.