XP server – Recommendation

you2wire

you wont be able to use more then 4 gigs on any 32-bit os. im not sure if you could upgrade xp to server. i would suggest that you take a look into the Web Server 2008. if you want to be able to use more then 4 gigs of ram just install the 64bit version of it instead of the 32bit.

I know that XP is limited to 3 GIGs RAM and i running 4 GIG RAM on my XP now. I think after it all I am going to have to upgrae to Windows 2008 . I am just afraid that the update is going to be a pain.

I not even sure that the following program will work on a 64bit windows 2008.

Apache HTTPD 2.2.8

Openssl 0.9.8g

MySQL 5.0.51a

PHP 5.2.5

PHP 4.4.8

phpMyAdmin 2.11.4

FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.25

Mercury Mail Transport System 4.52

Clamwin

Perl 5.8.8

mod_perl 2.0.3

I might use my Kids computer( they are going to be upset) for 2 days and put windows 2008 on it and test all the programs to see if they work. Then if i am happy, then make the change to the server.

Now the question is when or if a make that move to windows 2008 64 BIT will my present setup

• CPU Manufacturer: Genuine Intel
  • Number of CPU: 1
  • (2 Core(s)/CPU, 1 Logical(s)/Core)
  • CPU Type: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz
  • CPU Speed: 2133.2 MHz
  • Cache size: 4096KB
  • O/S: Windows XP (WIN32)
  • Total RAM: 3070.5 MB.
  • Available RAM: 2511.3 MB.
  • Total Disk Space: 500 GBytes
  • 2 Sata Hard Drives
  • Asus P5nsli 775 Motherboard
  • 4 gig RAM (I know that XP will only see 3 GIG)

Will I be able to run the following setup with now problems or do i have to upgrade my CPU or more RAM from 4 to 8

Host 4 sites

Expected persons on the site 200 visitors concurrent

Streaming audio 2312 listenering concurrent

Domain controller

The last thing is which windows server 2008

1. Windows Server 2008 Standard (x86 and x64)
  2. Windows Server 2008 Enterprise (x86 and x64)
  3. Windows Server 2008 Datacenter (x86 and x64)
  4. Windows Web Server 2008 (x86 and x64)

Edited by you2wire

Apache HTTPD 2.2.8

Openssl 0.9.8g

MySQL 5.0.51a

PHP 5.2.5

PHP 4.4.8

phpMyAdmin 2.11.4

FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.25

Mercury Mail Transport System 4.52

Clamwin

Perl 5.8.8

mod_perl 2.0.3

I am not asure about the mercury mail transport system but I am pretty sure the rest would work.

you wont be able to use more then 4 gigs on any 32-bit os.
Not true. Research AWE and PAE.
I know that XP is limited to 3 GIGs RAM and i running 4 GIG RAM on my XP now.
XP (and all 32bit Windows desktop OSes, 2000/XP/Vista) are limited to 4GB of RAM, but 2GB (or 3GB with /3GB boot.ini switch) of virtual address space per process (1GB for kernel if /3GB is used).

Windows 2008 x86 can utilize 32 or 64GB of RAM in certain scenarios (if the apps support AWE), and x64 much more than that.

Ok,

Here goes, I just bought windows server 2003 OS and I am going to install it tonight.

I have (2) SATA hard drives. If can move all my data from C :( XP OS) to D and install server 2003 on C: I should be able to retrieving the software.

I thinking of deleting the partition in C: with the present OS and then install windows server only.

Please can you provide me with the best option of installing windows Server 2003 RC 2. This option should not slow this system or create must additional work.

Less work is ideal, but no lost of performance.

The best option is to backup your data and do a completely fresh install (format C:). This may not seem like the fastest method, but it will be in the long run. It'll save you a lot of troubleshooting problems later on, which often times result in a reinstall anyway.

Thanks, I thought that would be the best solution. Ok this is going to be a long night. To back my information then install a new OS then reinstall the application YIKE!

Then learn how to use Windows 2003

Ok

Update

I installed the Windows 2003 and all went ok. The OS is now recognizing the 4GB of RAM. The problem I had last night was that the CPU Fan burned out. I know it was making some noise when it was on The XP PRO. I guess that it was just the normal time for it to go.

My question is. Since I Prefer apache as a Web server over IIS. I had to uninstall IIS as it was using my port 80(conflict). Now IIS is uninstalled will it affect like my domain controller, DNS.

Edited by you2wire

No, it won't affect DNS or your AD. The only thing it would affect related to your AD would be if you installed a certificate services server on the DC (don't!), as that relies on IIS. Assuming it was a default install of 2003, and cert services isn't a default installed component, you don't have to worry about this at all.

My final Question

When I installed Windows 2003 I used my F: drive and so my C: still has windows XP pro. When i boot up and can choose XP pro and Windows server 2003. I feeling very comforatble with windows 2003 now so i need to remove thwe XP from the C: drive my question is as follows

When i reformat the c: drive will their be any booting issue or will it just boot up into windows 2003.

My final Question

When I installed Windows 2003 I used my F: drive and so my C: still has windows XP pro. When i boot up and can choose XP pro and Windows server 2003. I feeling very comforatble with windows 2003 now so i need to remove thwe XP from the C: drive my question is as follows

When i reformat the c: drive will their be any booting issue or will it just boot up into windows 2003.

NO, DO NOT format your C:\ drive, for two reasons:

1) It is not necessary, you can just delete all the previous XP related files and delete from BOOT.INI the entry XP related

2) By formatting the C:\ drive (aka First drive first active partition) you will also delete the three files:

BOOT.INI

NTLDR

NTDETECT.COM

(and maybe also NTBOOTDD.SYS and BOOTFONT.BIN)

that are needed to boot your install of 2003 on F:\ as well

jaclaz