New Gateway PC with AOL and Netzero that will not die.

bizzybody

A client just bought a new Gateway PC with Home Premium. Gateway "helpfully" stuck icons for AOL 9 and Netzero on te start menu. The icons can be deleted but they come back when the computer is restarted.

NEITHER PROGRAM IS INSTALLED! They ARE NOT in the list in Programs and Features. I can't find anything with msconfig or in the Run keys in the registry for either one.

How do I completely scrub this malware-like garbage off this computer?

(Anyone replying with "Go to Programs and Features..." gets a free thwack with a #10 clue-by-four.) ;)

What happens if you chose "Remove from this list" instead of deleting the icons?

They come back next reboot. :angry:

Reminds me of when those motherboard companies put Win 98SE detecting and auto-installing adware in the BIOS.

• 3 months later...

You can see what's active at startup. From the desktop: Click on the START button > control panel >

Administrative Tools > System Configuration > Startup and/or Services. They're right next to each other. You can opt out of a lot of stuff there, but remember(IOW: make notes of) what you de-activate. Oh, and do a 'Create a Restore Point' first using

'System Restore'.

Best, Paul

Edited by paullyboy