ATI Xpress 1150 Mass Storage Drivers + Sysprep

----- Post Nº 1 -----

Background... We've been buying Intel-based systems over the past few years and I have maintained a sysprep'd image that works across ~16 different models of notebooks/desktops. When Intel introduced the Matrix Storage Technology I had to update my unattended/imaging builds to include the iastor/iaahci mass storage components, so i'd like to think I have some experience adding mass storage drivers to unattended/sysprep configurations.

I'm now evaluating an AMD-based desktop that uses the ATI Xpress 1150 chipset. The board utilizes a SATA controller (SB600 I believe) but the BIOS only has options for Legacy and Native IDE modes. In both modes, the controller presents under XP as two "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" devices.

I've snagged the appropriate mass storage drivers and incorporated them in my sysprep configuration by adding the device id's and INF paths to sysprep.inf and as OEM drivers. When the image is dropped on one of the AMD machines, the OS fails to boot. It just cyclically boots to the "Windows failed to start successfully" screen.

I've dug into the INFs and it looks like one of them doesn't actually install anything itself, it simply includes the standard msdhc.inf and installs pciide.sys, pciideex.sys and atapi.sys for a compatible device id.

So, i'm nearing a brick wall on this one re: getting my sysprep'd image to boot on this chipset. Any thoughts?

----- Post Nº 2 -----

Looking at the IntelPPM service now... i'm hopeful that this is causing my problem and that it's not as mass storage issue.

Edited by Yzöwl
Post Merged; Please use the Edit facility in future!

Cool. IntelPPM service disabled = booting w/ mini-setup. Should be a walk in the park from here. :)

Edit: Spoke too soon. I was hoping to disable the IntelPPM via a routine called from Cmdlines.txt, but that isn't processed until after the OS tries to load. Doh. So, I suspect those taking an image from Intel -> AMD systems are disabling the IntelPPM service prior to booting from the freshly imaged hard disk (e.g.: WinPE). Hmm...

Edited by _jd_