Add Remote User Account to Local Group?

I've been at this for hours, Google-ing till my head is ready to explode. :wacko: Maybe someone here has done this.

Back around 2000 I had set up a small office network for someone. In the process they asked me to set it up so users could login to any one of their Windows 2000 computers. Since there was no domain controller, I just added the users from one computers ACL to the Administrators group of the other computers (there were only 3). This worked fine, and I haven't run into a similar situation since then because I work in the Enterprise most of the time.

My job has recently required some heavy VBScript authoring. I have a stand alone development workstation that I use to test scripts that is running Windows XP Professional SP2. On this workstation I have a stand alone test server running Windows Server 2003 Standard in a virtual machine. The two machines are connected via the Microsoft Loopback adapter with static IP addresses on both sides. The firewall is disabled for this connection and both sides are running the Microsoft Client and File & Printer Sharing. I can browse the network from each machine and see the other, and login and access each other's administrative shares.

The problem: I am trying to setup a relationship with these two like I did the old Windows 2000 machines. I want to add my user account on the XP machine to the Administrators group of the Server 2003 virtual machine. When I am in the user manager of the Server, and I type \\<xpmachinename>\<myaccount> to add, it says that it cannot find the object. I have also tried <xpmachine>\<myaccount> and even logging in to the XP's administrative share before trying this. Note that the XP machine doesn't populate in the "Locations" tree either. I have tried playing around with the local security policy and changing some settings related to anonymous logins and that didn't seem to help.

Has anyone been successful in adding users and groups from one stand alone workstation or server to another? Would you mind enlightening me? :unsure:

Thanks...