I removed components, but want to install SP1

bumcheekcity

http://www.msfn.org/board/vista-sp1-and-vlite-t114322.html

http://www.vlite.net/servicepack.html

I have read the above two links, but am still a bit confused. I installed a vLite'd copy of Vista, where I removed some components, a few months ago, and now I want to install SP1 on it, but it's not showing up. I appreciate that it's not showing up because I removed the components, but Vista's Network Transfer speeds are utterly appalling, and I need SP1. Is there any way to install SP1 without breaking my machine, and without having to do a reinstall?

No.

But the good news is that you can integrate it with the new vLite, and configure if needed.

Thanks. Would it, though, and this is me just thinkign about it... Would it be possible to take a Vista SP1 CD, and do something like an upgrade install of it, over my RTM install? I'm running Ultimate.

So we should expect this to be true in the future as well, I suppose. Any removal of components now means a complete re-install will be needed in the future. So if I remove components from a SP1 RTM disk, I won't be able to install some future SP2.

Seems like this negates any utility that derives from component removal, eh?

So we should expect this to be true in the future as well, I suppose. Any removal of components now means a complete re-install will be needed in the future. So if I remove components from a SP1 RTM disk, I won't be able to install some future SP2.

It does slightly limit the point of vLite, but we can still automate the install. It wouldn't be useful to me, but it might to some people.

It does slightly limit the point of vLite, but we can still automate the install. It wouldn't be useful to me, but it might to some people.

Well, I still look forward to using vLite as soon as I get my SP1 RTM disk, and it appears to be a fantastic tool. I think though that maybe it should contain a disclaimer on the component-removal screen to warn people about this issue.

By the time Service Pack 2 rolls around, I'll be ready for a fresh install anyway.

Such is the way of Windows, I suppose. The Mac and Linux users laugh at us for this reason. Of course, I'm impartial...everything sucks in its own special way.