SBS 2003 R2 headache

psb

Hi all,

I am going through the process of installing SBS 2003 R2 to a server in my small office. The server is ProLiant ML110 G5 with one network adaptor.

My network set-up is one Broadband Modem Router (a BT Homehub, for my sins) which is linked by ethernet to the server. The client PCs will then also be linked to the router (wirelessly is my intention) and will obtain their internet directly from the router.. not the server.

The probelem

I have successfully installed the client data on one laptop (XP Pro) using an ethernet cable from the router. I had to add the Server IP in the preferred DNS setting of the client network settings for it to work.

I am now working wirelessly on the laptop but I am unable to view the company web and cannot connect to the server....but I can connect to the internet via the router! I have set up a shared folder from the server and can access this without problems. So currently all I have a very expensive network drive, and that's about it. I cannot do anything else.

What am I doing wrong here?

Some info about the router... It is not possible to edit the preffered and alternative DNS settings (do I need this?). Also, it has DHCP so it sets the IP address for each of my client PCs and the server. Is there something I need to do to all of this to get it work? It's supposed to be upnp, but SBS 2003 said it couldnt configure it, even though it detected it.

Is the router may be unusable for this setup? I also have a linksys modem and a D-Link VWR router kicking around, which I would be happy to use if they offer more control and enable me to set up correctly.

I've not even thought about remote access of the server yet, but this is something I'll need to do in future. (my ISP assigns a dynamic IP too)

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm a bit of nupty with this stuff, so laymens terms please :-)

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

Edited by psb

UPDATE...

OK, I've added the Server IP address as the preferred DNS in the wireless network settings on the laptop. I can now access the server and the internet (I would assume via the server?)

Two things... Firstly, I cannot access the internet when the server is off. If I use the laptop at a different location, I am unable to connect as the wireless DNS settings point to the server. Will I have to manually change this every time I enter and leave the office?

Also, if I reboot the router, will my server not be allocated a different IP through DHCP in the router?

Thanks again!

Edited by psb

Also, if I reboot the router, will my server not be allocated a different IP through DHCP in the router?

You need to setup the server with a static IP address.

I would also recommend NOT using the DHCP server built into the router. Install 2003's DHCP Server on your server (it's very easy to configure). You can control many more options for the workstations/laptops using 2003's DHCP Server. As you figured out, you need to have the server's IP address setup as the primary DNS server for your workstations. As a matter of fact, that should be the only IP address listed for an AD environment. Your SBS box should do all the DNS lookups.

So, in summary:

-- Change your server to a static IP address (use whatever address it currently is using from the router since everything in the install is already configured to use that address)

-- Disable the DHCP server in the router

-- Install/configure DHCP Server on your SBS box

-- Let all of your workstations and laptops use DHCP

Great, thanks for the reply.

But that still leaves me with a problem. As the laptops will have the DNS configured to point to the SBS, if I try and connect to a router in a different location/server is off I will be unable to connect (unless I manually update the settings to say 'obtain DNS server address automatically'). Is there anyway around this so then when I'm in the server?

I notice that there the option for an alternate configuration? Perhaps one coulf be configured to the server and the other to obtain DNS automatically? Might that solve this issue?

Thanks again

Edited by psb

I notice that there the option for an alternate configuration? Perhaps one coulf be configured to the server and the other to obtain DNS automatically? Might that solve this issue?

Almost.

Setup the main connection as DHCP ('Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'). Use the Altnernate Configuration tab for static entries used on another network (these will only be used when a DHCP server is not available).

I followed your instructions and everything works! Thank you very much indeed. My first time on this forum and my problem was resolved very quickly!

I've not cracked remote access yet, but I'll work on that and will post if I have troubles.

Best regards,

VPN.

My ISP assigns me a dynamic IP address, so I initially figured this wasn't possible. However, I've registered with NO-IP and now have a host Name (not IP) that is always the same. My router has been configured so that it tells NO-IP what my IP address is.

I've also allowed PPTP on the router and have forwarded it to the server. Connection manager has been added on to the client PC.

What else do I need to do?

(thanks again for all of your help... I really should've hired someone who knew what they were doing from the start!)