Can i fit vista on a floppy

MsFanboy

Boooogy

I admit them "ridiculous" is severe

and will certainly offend hardcore believers

so i will use futile or flaky at best instead.

Having tested vlited vista in many different configurations from home basic N to ultimate

with various software and hardware i came to believe that having a bigger (but well tweaked)and surely bloated os

with all its functionalities is winning over a leaner vista with broken or inexistants functions.

Many software developpers (strangely) use some services and or module in the developpment of their products, this is a well known fact.

So in the long run more and more changes on Vlite will be needed as new software and hardware will come by.

A never ending story.

And finally, there is certainly no need for a skinned down vista to play hd movies. :P

This was simply my point of view .

This is a nice hobby and encourage anyone to pursue in whatever direction he or she decide

to go

B)

the whole thread is "severe".....starting from title.

u meant to write this thread as an attack not as an opinion. so live with the other users attacks .....

like i said if u think that full vista is good for u ...then use it and enjoy it.

u could posted your opinion in a nice way and didnt have to be rude.

No screen render comes out as clean as Vista thats why I compared it to all other high quality OS(aiglx); sound quality is also far superior in Vista compared to all other os. I personally feel that many components can be removed from vista with no side effects and look at the bugs these guys are coming up with. Most users don't install all these coding packages or cut their os down to the bare nub and really I don't think you should try to cut everything out till you know what your doing(sure a detailed guide would be nice too bad people don't work together that efficiently). We all know the footprint of Vista is too big, and there are too many uneeded dlls etc or things that most users will never use. Speech support is great but I found it unusable(wanna try hacking in a wiimote instead). Sounds like you know vLite so even in your own mind you know your post is silly. They get you coders thinking on upkeep so much that you often don't do anything just because of the "support". Seems like mirroring of the corporate penny pinching mentality, personally I find it negative and unappealing.

Can i fit vista on a floppy

No, but I can think of a more suitable place to fit it.

If nothing else, with vLite, I enjoy the fact that root drive backups complete in twice the time and more than fit on a DVD5 should it be necessary to do so.

Timmer

So you install a trimmed down vista on a 4 or 8 gig ide flash and you will have no space left ...

common ,, give me better raisons.

as a c# developer i have the following basic software requirements, it is only a laptop and as such is a minimal working set of software:

- vista ultimate with SP1

- office 2007 ultimate

- visual studio 2008 professional

- firefox

- VLC media player

- AVG antivirus

I have installed all this software on a 8Gb virtual machine, it takes only 4.3 Gb + 1Gb swap file = 2.7 Gb of usable space. it's not a very good laptop so i will also greatly benefit from removing unwanted services that cause massive amounts of disk IO, such as error reporting, restore service, windows defender, etc. so far, it runs like a charm. it is also a benefit to remove these services permanently rather then just disable them, as various Windows Updates have in the past enabled certain services that were disabled.

Edited by timmer

well well

please dont be angry at simple constructive criticisms.

For example Tomorrow said he live in a country where all hardware is very expensive

but he can afford a nice 300.00 usd + Vista ultimate dvd as most people here seem to have. I wonder how much money could ultimate cost in his homeplace if prices are so high.

Buying a Vista ultimate dvd to remove modules that makes it more expensive does not sound logical to me.

Instead i would have bought a home basic dvd or even a home basic N.

Less to remove right ?

I could only afford an upgrade version of home premium(old version) cause i am not very rich

not everyone pays the retail price for their vista installation. for example if you are an MSDN subscriber or have volume licensing. upgrading to vista cost me nothing.

if you buy a car and remove the rear seats because that suits your purpose, then it doesn't void the decision to buy the car in the first place, it's still a great car. people can and will do whatever they want with vista, and it seems like a waste of time trying to argue with them.

MsFanboy, fishing, sports...for me that is far from fun. Obviously we don't share the same views, to put it mildly.

Btw you can attract attention on some fishing forum with something productive, don't be a troll.

I read through this a bit and appreciate the discussion for the use of vLite. I like to have things tidy, throw everything out that I do not use. Like keeping the basement clean, not as much fun as fishing, but stil it needs to be done every now and then.

However if vLite actually contributes to a faster, let alone more stable system, I do not think so. I personally think that putting services to manual that you do not use (or disabling them if they keep on starting), will give the most benefit and vLite is just a step further and also reducing disc usage.

Timmer

So you install a trimmed down vista on a 4 or 8 gig ide flash and you will have no space left ...

common ,, give me better raisons.

~~snip

it's not a very good laptop so i will also greatly benefit from removing unwanted services that cause massive amounts of disk IO, such as error reporting, restore service, windows defender, etc.

I would have to agree with timmer fully in this respect. When using any form of flash memory as the primary drive, the more you can reduce overall disk I/O the better. Not only for performance sakes but for the overall life of the flash memory. :)

Edited by Chozo4

hey i am not a piece of meat !!

"almost" everyone jump on me like a pirhana lol

Nuhi maybe fishing, sport or having a girl friend is not for you ,i understand

but my point is why introduce bugs in windows for the fun of having a smaller install

.I d rather get a home basic N add softwares i like, tweak it properly and voila. Dont you think it makes more sense than

having a more expensive(money waste or all u guys are sons of millionaires) and more bloated os just to remove what home basic does not have ?

yeah i know you will say but there is natural language, tablet pc and ton useless media files but theese will not impair the speed of windows.

not at all. In worst case it will take a little more time to load at startup.

I have made quite extensive test on both xp nlited and vista vlited and trust me in either case does it change anything in super pi

sandra or nor it improve fps in a 3d game or open ms office faster etc.... as for boot time i do not think a few seconds more will threaten

my life

The modded windows will have zero impact on theese bench if you consider ram adjustement perspective

i.e. vlited vista will take less ram to some extent but then to bench a vanilla i would either add ram or disable services to compensate

and all theese on the same pc. Believe me all test shown identical.

I also understand that i came with an attitude that look shocking but only shocks can create proper reflexion unfortunately.

now i will allow you all to continue to destroy me loll :D

you can't just compare a 'vlited' vista with a normal vista, because there are a gzillion options that make up a vlited vista. i can confirm that a full installation of vista ultimate on my laptop ran like an old dog (with many services disabled etc), so slow that it was unusable. the minimal vlite installation i have now runs very respectably. so yes, there are performance benefits to using vlite.