HFREPLACE

fdv

I am running a dual core and I run VMWare 6. I have been experimenting with various settings in Windows 2000 and I'm pretty used to the time setup takes. It's not slow, but I had a pretty good grasp on it.

I put the following files from Server 2003 into HFREPLACE/i386:

aic78u2.sys
aic78xx.sys
atapi.sys
cdfs.sys
dmboot.sys
fastfat.sys
intelide.sys
ntfs.sys
ntfsdrv.dll
pci.sys
pciide.sys
pciidex.sys
ultra.sys
untfs.dll

Now I might be wrong, but I could swear my setup time was reduced by quite a bit. Now, some of these files wouldn't even get used by the OS in VMWare, I recognize that... aic78xx.sys for example, because the OS doesn't detect that SCSI card since it's not on my system and not emulated in VMWare. But files like pci, cdfs, atapi, and ntfs for example I know are used. You guys might want to try playing around with low-level drivers too to see your results.

It used to be HFREPLACE, IIRC... I simply forgot.

Right?

Uh... no. The FIX folder (replace files in SOURCESS\I386) was replaced with the REPLACE folder (replace files in entire SOURCESS folder) with HFSLIP 1.7.1 released December 2007. :)

Thanks TC, I remember now. In the first betas it was CHANGE then it became SWAP and then HFNEWER and HFCHANGE before becoming HFFIX which got changed to REPLACEFIXHFNEWERCHANGE. :wacko::lol:

Wela, yes, I recommend those two files too. Anyone else try and see a speed increase?

What would happen if I combined DRIVER.CAB files, would that even work? Taking out kernel files of course. What about URL and WININET? I'm'a try these right now I think.

BTW, Schiller is awesome. Just wanted to add that.

Thanks TC, I remember now. In the first betas it was CHANGE then it became SWAP and then HFNEWER and HFCHANGE before becoming HFFIX which got changed to REPLACEFIXHFNEWERCHANGE. :wacko::lol:
And in NT4Alive it's called "DUMP"...

At least it makes sense... :P

Wela, yes, I recommend those two files too. Anyone else try and see a speed increase?
On 2K, I thought to notice a minor speed decrease with the files from Server 2003 compared to the ones from Windows XP, but I never really timed it. What I did notice was that, with the files from Server 2003, I suddenly got those white blocks at the bottom again which are not there when using XP's files.
What would happen if I combined DRIVER.CAB files, would that even work?
I *hope* you don't mean "merging DRIVER.CAB with SP*.CAB"... ;)

:hello:

"On 2K, I thought to notice a minor speed decrease with the files from Server 2003 compared to the ones from Windows XP, but I never really timed it. What I did notice was that, with the files from Server 2003, I suddenly got those white blocks at the bottom again which are not there when using XP's files."

:unsure: I don´t understand!? :unsure: