Is XP SP3 ready?

pmi

Obviously that is only an estimate, and very often, estimates are often wrong. That one is indeed wrong. The last estimate I read from third-party sources was "by the end of April", but Microsoft's last uttering is "end of 2Q 2008". Much depends on Microsoft, but like I've typed in this forum before, I'd rather them take their time and get it right than to throw it out there to numerous problems like Vista SP1. Especially true given they've thrown XP by the side of the road in their development plans and this will be the last SP.

The SP3 public RC2 refresh 5508 seems to be running pretty well, though (better than SP2 in a few things), and from what I'm reading they seem to be very close to having a releasable product. So "end of April" seems like a good guess from my perspective.

they should really add more sata & raid controller drivers to it, and freshen the basic sound/video drivers

especially the realtek sound drivers, they're used on so many machines

The link is incomplete so it doesn't work but english language has been listed as second half of April.

Maybe, just maybe RTM will be next week but I highly doubt we'll see anything sooner.

I just wish the betas could be used without expire/uninstalling.

All SP3 beta builds expire on June 30th, 2008 OR when SP3 final is released, which ever happens first. After June 30th, or when SP3 final is released, ALL beta SP3 machines will no longer receive updates and will receive pop-up's (nagware) urging you to upgrade to SP3 final.

All SP3 beta builds expire on June 30th, 2008...

i'm seeing some sites saying to "Start -> Run -> winver" and that the box that opens is supposed to tell us the expiration date...

i'm seeing no expiration date, even installed a fresh SP2 in VirtualBox and then installed the latest SP3 v.5508, still no "winver" expiration...

there "has to be" a way for me to find out WHEN (if?) my SP3 v.3264 "expires" WITHOUT me booting up one morning and not being able to do so, with no advance notice...

All RC bits expire 180 days after release, so 5508 was published as a release on 3/6/08. I'm not sure the exact date of expiry due to the package potentially being built a few days before, but that puts expiration on or around the first week in September, 2008. RTM will be available by then, so I don't think this is an issue.

true...

except i'm running 3264 and was too "stupid" to know that i'd need to UNINSTALL IT before installing any "newer" SP3's...

i didn't "keep" the uninstall directories (my standard practice for any hotfix directories), axed them to 'save space'... :/

oh well, that gives me until 180 days from the release of 3264 to "perfect" my slipstreaming and be ready to re-install everything...

(i tend to format/re-install once or twice a year anyway, which led this newbie to these forums - autoit/nlite/et cetera to install EVERYTHING in one fell-swoop...)

Read the EULA.TXT that comes with every SP3 beta. It very clearly and very specifically states: until June 30th 2008, or until SP3 Final is released, which ever happens first.

Also, you can refer to this thread from the SP3 forum: SP3 TimeBomb

Edited by Mt.Dew

Read the EULA.TXT that comes with every SP3 beta. It very clearly and very specifically states: until June 30th 2008, or until SP3 Final is released, which ever happens first.

Also, you can refer to this thread from the SP3 forum: SP3 TimeBomb

Microsoft: XP SP3 RTM Build 5511 anyone see it anywhere believe its rtm its all over torrents and i cannot believe in torrents :realmad: