WinXP Pro network shares, anonymous login

robd

I can not seem to figure out how to provide a network share that requires no authorization/authentication. [NTFS]

The network share in question is set up as hidden.

For the steps I have taken a login prompt always displays.

Steps I have tried:

1)Set permission for the share to ANONYMOUS LOGON.

1a)Change Local Security Settings: Local Policy=>Security Options} Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously [define directory]

2)Set permission for the share to Everyone

2a)Change Local Security Settings: Local Policy=>Security Options} Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users

3)Enable the Guest account

3a)Set permission for the share to Guest

Edited by robd

Robd,

If my memory serves me correctly, you have to also add the "NETWORK" group to the share permissions. The group Everyone still assumes that you are Someone, and therefore have some sort of authentication mechanism in place. Try adding NETWORK to the share permissions and let me know how it goes.

Also, be sure to check the file system (if it's NTFS) permissions to ensure the selected group(s) can List/Read, etc.

Good luck!

Kevin

Edited by kevin_s

Robd,

If my memory serves me correctly, you have to also add the "NETWORK" group to the share permissions. The group Everyone still assumes that you are Someone, and therefore have some sort of authentication mechanism in place. Try adding NETWORK to the share permissions and let me know how it goes.

Also, be sure to check the file system (if it's NTFS) permissions to ensure the selected group(s) can List/Read, etc.

Good luck!

Kevin

Thanks a lot Kevin!

:unsure: Can anyone provide insight into sharing a resource between two XP pro networked computers without requiring authentication/authorization [login]? I am unable to access the share without being prompted to login.

To rehash, I disabled simple file sharing (NTFS partitions) and set up a shared folder adding the ANONYMOUS LOGON group to the permissions on this share.

Added the ANONYMOUS LOGON group for access to this computer

Local Security Settings=> Local Policies=> User Rights Assignment {Access this computer from the network ==> added ANONYMOUS LOGON group}

I then defined the share as a share that can be accessed anonymously across the network through Local Security Settings.

Local Security Settings=> Local Policies=> Security Options {Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously ==>added the share}

:no: Well it didn't work.