Internet Explorer 7 with Windows98SE

Telop

Very doubtful. I don't think anyone has even gotten IE7 working on Windows 2000, let alone Windows 98. Even if it could be made to work, it would require a major hack that would doubtless threaten stability for very little benefit.

yes IE6 sp1 works and it is officially meant for this.

Some guys made wmp10 and other newer ms progs working with Windows98SE. some other guys made win98 kernel updates to allow xp progs work in win98 env. and many other things like these. So why shouldnt i think of integrating IE7 or up, with windows 98 SE? Of course i cant, but may be some other guys there will do that? Or an alternative task would be upgrading IE 6 OR adding add-ons in it? I use AM Browser, which uses ie6, but it is a tabbed browser, and adds some other functionalities, but i have never seen any UPDATE official or unofficial, that is an ADD-ON to IE6, to make itlike IE7. I hope someone will do something related to this.

Because you shouldn't use IE, or any program that uses it as its engine. It's crap.

Yes, you are right, thers is too much about it out there. But you might also have noticed that there is no any other browser such highly configurable. For example, i use Free Download Manager to download from net, but the DM is not giving those options with opera that i see in IE, same for other programs. I also use Opera, although somewhat faster, but again, too many shell enhancement only available for IE not for opera or mozilla. Remember i am not talking about security. When we use Win98, we cannot get rid of IE engine no matter we use other browser or not, the IE engine is integrated with the shell, the only solution i know to use Win95 old shell with 98se using 98lite. So if the engine is in use, using other browser puts extra burden on resources, or someone rewrite explorer.exe and shell32.dll etc that are free of IE engine.

I dont like IE too much, but due to many facts, forced to use it.

Edited by Telop

But you might also have noticed that there is no any other browser such highly configurable.

Firefox and SeaMonkey are highly configurable by their very nature. They're open-source, and there are a lot of extensions and themes to have them how you like them.

So if the engine is in use, using other browser puts extra burden on resources, or someone rewrite explorer.exe and shell32.dll etc that are free of IE engine.

It puts just as much extra burden as when you wouldn't be using IE. You're still opening another instance when you open it as a web browser.

Opera may not be so "highly configurable" that you speak about, but it's not very configurable because it doesn't need configuring. It's simply rock solid, no matter what you do with it. Btw, it's got an integrated download manager. And you don't get to pick up viruses with it either.

Those spyware toolbars have been able to get into Firefox for quite a while now, but i have yet to see one that can integrate with Opera. And you know those IM viruses spreading via web pages, right? IE picks them up right away, and some versions of Firefox are vulnerable to those exploits too. I went to one of those pages in Opera. What do you think happened? Something of the like: "The script has encountered an error and is unable to continue" displayed by the virus server. :D And no virus infection. ;)

Just use Opera, you'll thank me someday.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

the only solution i know to use Win95 old shell with 98se using 98lite.

IEradicator also works very well. It's not quite as thorough as using 98lite but it's more than enough to really lighten up the load on 98. My 98SE box has been IEradicated and has yet to drop to 80% available system resources, no matter how long I use it. My 98FE workhorse, which has IE6 and way too much more installed, seldom drops lower than 60% when using SeaMonkey. IE6 uses up 98 more than any other browser I've tried.

Regarding IE7, I don't have much experience with it. Only a few of my clients wanted it, and about half of them are considering removing it. To me, it seems slower than IE6, even on fairly powerful hardware and has stability issues. Even if IE7 could be made to run on 98, there'd be nothing gained from using it.

Rick

Opera may not be so "highly configurable" that you speak about, but it's not very configurable because it doesn't need configuring.

Opera is highly configurable. Options out the wazoo!

And you don't get to pick up viruses with it either.

Neither do any Mozilla-based web browser.

Those spyware toolbars have been able to get into Firefox for quite a while now

Nonsense. Of course, if you click OK on anything...

And you know those IM viruses spreading via web pages, right?

What? No.

Just use Opera, you'll thank me someday.

Fanatic? :/

Guys, enough with fan-boy fights. Internet Explorer 7 can't run on Windows 98 due to compatibility issues, it has to many API functions missing.

the only solution i know to use Win95 old shell with 98se using 98lite.

With the free 98lite version, you can uninstall IE without changing to the Windows 95 Shell.

Though the Windows 95 Shell is much more efficient and recommended.

With the free 98lite version, you can uninstall IE without changing to the Windows 95 Shell.

That's strange. According to the 98lite documentation the Windows 98 explorer is replaced by Windows 95 explorer in order to get rid of the IE.

Since the explorer is the system shell, the 98lite changes the shell to the one taken from the Windows 95.