nLite Setup for XP on a Vista Machine?

echore

Title says it all really; I've dug out my old XP disk, and was looking to create an nLite XP image.

Do I have to be using XP on the PC I'm creating the nLite version on, or can I create it on my Vista machine that I'm using now?

I remember a few threads regarding problems when people began to use Vista but as there isn't anymore, I guess all problems have been solved. So yes, you can use nLite under Vista.

I confirm nLite works under Vista for XP ... Just make sure disable UAC under Vista to avoid problems ...

[edit: typo corrected ]

Edited by Sonic

I confirm nLite works under XP for XP ...
What a surprise! :thumbup

Grr, damnable hedgehog-related problems ;)

But thanks for the heads up, all. I'll give this a go later on, making sure that I've send nLite to XP Compatability mode, and also setting it to run as administrator.

Will let you know how it goes!

Well I'm not sure what the secret is, but I've tried about 50 times (okay a few less), and it always crashes on the final stages when integrating hotfixes. It doesn't seem to matter WHAT hotfixes I include - it will crash during that step.

I am running as administrator, I have taken ownership of all the working files, etc, but it crashes every bleedin time. I have also tried the last final non-beta as well as the current beta. Have tried with sp2, sp3 and two different source disks - one already sp2'd (with sp3) and another RTM with no service pack, to sp2 and sp3, all go crashy.

EDIT:

Loaded the files up over the network on my win2k backup box (via tightvnc), and there's no crashy - same source files. So it is clearly a vista problem Sorry I have no idea what the problem is - I was running it as administrator, so that wasn't it. But it DOES work with the SAME source files and service packs/addons when run from a Win2k box.

Edited by aelfwyne

Well I'm not sure what the secret is, but I've tried about 50 times (okay a few less), and it always crashes on the final stages when integrating hotfixes. It doesn't seem to matter WHAT hotfixes I include - it will crash during that step.

I am running as administrator, I have taken ownership of all the working files, etc, but it crashes every bleedin time. I have also tried the last final non-beta as well as the current beta. Have tried with sp2, sp3 and two different source disks - one already sp2'd (with sp3) and another RTM with no service pack, to sp2 and sp3, all go crashy.

EDIT:

Loaded the files up over the network on my win2k backup box (via tightvnc), and there's no crashy - same source files. So it is clearly a vista problem Sorry I have no idea what the problem is - I was running it as administrator, so that wasn't it. But it DOES work with the SAME source files and service packs/addons when run from a Win2k box.

move the source to c:\xpcd , select the folder and properties, set as read-only, then un set it, now try with nlite (do it from an admin account, and turn off uac)

that's overkill, but it might be one of them

-ooh, and disable your antivirus & windows defender real-time scanning when doing it

Just a heads up, there are errors when slipstreaming under Vista

I recently created a XP disc with SP3 slipstreamed under Vista, and when I went to install it, my key didn't work. I was suggested on these forums to create it under XP. So I created it under XP, and the key worked fine

I don't know if that changed with the recent nLite beta