Network Works only in 1 Direction

Neil_G

I setup a local network - Desktop machine, Laptop Machine & printer connected to thru the Desktop. The Laptop is connected to the network thru a wireless connection on my router. Both machines are running XP Pro and using ZoneAlarm Suite for a firewall. I setup the sharing rights on each machine (share MyDocuments).

The laptop can see the desktop and print just like I would expect.

The Desktop machine does not see the laptop. I have double checked and there are shares setup. I even tried hard wire connecction and still no luck.

Would appreciate any suggestions to resolve the issue.

First, do both machines have a username/password? If not, you'll need to do that for both machines.

Second, turn off the firewall on both machines and see if you connect. It is always possible that one of them hasn't yet added the "new" network yet and is blocking it. Once you get things working, you can turn the firewall back on and test again.

Three, try searching for the laptop from the desktop machine using the internal ip address (something like 192.168.0.3). Name resolution in peer networks is always an iffy thing, but once it has figured it out, things go better.

Fourth, trying pinging each machine from the other using the ip addy from the command line (Start->Run->type cmd then hit the OK button). Also, ping the router. If those ping are successful, then you should be able to connect the two with no problem.

Thanks I have it working.

When I did an find of the computer it fiund it and then when I said explore it asked me for the password. Once I put in the password, the network appeared. Thank you for the help.