Huawei U1220s mobile phone Win9x USB driver

Drugwash

Recently I got a mobile phone for free, with the internet connection contract. "Great", I thought. But looking into the manual, I noticed - with no surprise - that there are no Win9x drivers for it - only Win2000, XP and Vista ones, as if it had to do some extraordinary Unicode job, transferring some bloody pictures and sounds to/from the phone to the PC. :(

So, to make it short, would anyone knowledgeable be willing to port the NT drivers to Win9x, so me (and any other potential Win9x users) could connect it to the PC and transfer the little things it accepts?

I must mention that the actual driver is in a .sys form, so it may not be that easy (if at all) to port it. If anybody's interested, I can upload the whole drivers folder to a free host. Thank you.

Oh man, you got one of those s***ty phones too? My advice would be not to bother with it, as it doesn't even support MP3. And there's no interesting things that you can do by connecting the phone to the computer, believe me, i did it. Just drop a MicroSD card in it and it'll get recognized as a regular removable drive in win9x if you have the USB drivers.

If you really want music on it, use IMA ADPCM format, 44kHz, 4 bit, stereo. It's just a bit larger than 320kbps MP3 with similar quality. It actually sounds very good if you use quality earphones on the phone.

But, seriously, do you want to convert all your music to wavs? I wouldn't.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

I know what it can and what it can't, it's more like the principle of it. It's not like I wanna listen to my favorite music on the phone, for pete's sake... but I wanna be able to copy over some audio files to organize personalized ringtones and some pictures for the wallpaper.

I'm not gonna be able to buy myself a Micro SD in the near future, so I have to rely on that driver. I do have NUSB 3.3 installed and working so that wouldn't be a problem; money is, unfortunately. :(

I know what it can and what it can't, it's more like the principle of it. It's not like I wanna listen to my favorite music on the phone, for pete's sake... but I wanna be able to copy over some audio files to organize personalized ringtones and some pictures for the wallpaper.

I'm not gonna be able to buy myself a Micro SD in the near future, so I have to rely on that driver. I do have NUSB 3.3 installed and working so that wouldn't be a problem; money is, unfortunately. :(

(in Romanian) E 30 lei un card de 1GB... Am eu unul de 128MB pe care ti l'as da moka, poate rezolvam noi cumva. ;)

Thanks for your kind offer, however I think it's gonna be a bit hard to do that. :)

And I still wanna get some 9x driver for that phone, just to prove those ¤%&"¤# that 9x is NOT dead and their thing CAN work just fine with it. Unfortunately, that .sys driver is completely hooked to the NT system files, as if they're trying to completely discourage any such porting attempt. Which makes me even more mad. :realmad:

My internet bill just arrived today and I can't afford to pay it. :(

Edited by Drugwash

; This INF file installs Huawei USB modem device on Win2K system.
; This INF file installs a proprietary USB CDC driver

[Version]
Signature = "$WINDOWS NT$"
Class = Modem
Provider = %HUAWEI%
CLASSGUID = {4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
DriverVer = 03/27/2007,2.0.3.0
CatalogFile= hmumdm.cat
<snip>

; This INF file installs a virtual COM port on Win2K system.

[Version]
signature = "$WINDOWS NT$"
Class = Ports
Provider = %HUAWEI%
ClassGuid = {4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
DriverVer = 03/27/2007,2.0.3.0
CatalogFile= hmuser.cat

[SourceDisksNames]
1000 = %HWSRCDISK%,"",,

[SourceDisksFiles]
hmumdm.sys = 1000

<snip>

hmumdm.sys dependencies:

hal.dll

ntoskrnl.exe

usbd.sys

wmilib.sys

None of the above files is present on my Win98SE system.

LocateDevice.dll in the setup package is linked to following functions in setupapi.dll, both missing here:

CM_Locate_DevNodeA

CM_Reenumerate_DevNode

Still think it's gonna be a walk in the park? ;)

Edited by Drugwash

• 1 month later...

Hmmm .....

I've looked for a copy of the driver and found one ... A quick look at the INF suggests that this driver will allow the phone to be used as a modem ... If that's what you intend to do with the phone then I believe it may be possible (but not gonna be easy) to whip up something for win98 ...

If you hope to transfer "data files" with this driver then its no go ... The driver uses usb CDC not MSD ... The only way to transfer "data files" thru CDC requires 2 level :

1. USB to UART bridge (that's where you see unimodem, vcomm, modemui etc etc)

2. Application to read/write using additional commands (defined by manufacturer)

This reminds me of an old IXLA digital camera I used a long time ago that uses similar methods ...

Rgds

Thanks for looking into it. I'm not familiar with those terms - CDC, MSD - but bad news is indeed I needed that driver for data transfer.

Although the phone is a 'cheap' one - no .MP3 .AVI .MPG support, no camera - at least it allows one to set personalized ringtones (.WAV format) and background pictures and that's precisely what I wanted to do.

The application - HUAWEI PC Assistant - installed about fine here and might work if it could find the driver to connect to the phone.

Maybe Th3_uN1Qu3 is right and it's not worth the bother... :(