VMWare ontop of 2008 Server Core?

MrChris

I cant figure out if this mobo is capible of Hyper-V in 2008 Server.

I ran this util called SecureAble and it says I pass all 3 tests. But I for the life of me cant get and VMs I create to start.

When ever I try to start a VM I get,

"An Error accured while attempting to change the state of virtual machine Windows XP.

The virtual machine could not be started becuase the hypervisor is not running."

the CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+

with 4GB DDR-2/800 RAM

Running on Windows Server 2008 Server RTM x64.

Any info or thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by MrChris

What's the stepping on that chip? From what I understand, you need an F2 or F3 stepping processor with support from the BIOS for hardware virtualization before hyper-v will work. I don't know if you have an F2 or F3 chip, and I'm really not sure about that motherboard (you aren't the only one stating it doesn't work, I googled it, so it may not be ready to go). I'd check with Gigabyte, and also find the stepping of your processor. If it's not F2 or F3, stop looking now and get an F3 chip.

What's the stepping on that chip? From what I understand, you need an F2 or F3 stepping processor with support from the BIOS for hardware virtualization before hyper-v will work. I don't know if you have an F2 or F3 chip, and I'm really not sure about that motherboard (you aren't the only one stating it doesn't work, I googled it, so it may not be ready to go). I'd check with Gigabyte, and also find the stepping of your processor. If it's not F2 or F3, stop looking now and get an F3 chip.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did some digging last night and it apears I have an F2 based CPU and Gigabyte has not yet released a BIOS that supports F3 Stepping for my current CPU. Since it will be a while before I can get an F3 CPU or a new Mobo. I am looking at other options.

A Thought, workaround for Hyper-V on non-F3 BIOS,CPUs.

What about Installing Server 2008 Core and have something like VMWare Server v2.x or VMWare Workstation v1.03 ontop of 2008 Core? That would kinda serve the same purpose wouldnt it? I mean I know it would not beusing Hardware based virtualizing in the same way as Hyper-V would but It would almost be the same thing no?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback!

Mr

Edited by MrChris

Thanks for the feedback.

I did some digging last night and it apears I have an F2 based CPU and Gigabyte has not yet released a BIOS that supports F3 Stepping for my current CPU. Since it will be a while before I can get an F3 CPU or a new Mobo. I am looking at other options.

A Thought, workaround for Hyper-V on non-F3 BIOS,CPUs.

What about Installing Server 2008 Core and have something like VMWare Server v2.x or VMWare Workstation v1.03 ontop of 2008 Core? That would kinda serve the same purpose wouldnt it? I mean I know it would not beusing Hardware based virtualizing in the same way as Hyper-V would but It would almost be the same thing no?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback!

Mr

the problem is VMware products are not made to work on Server Core, most of the products still require portions of the GUI to manage and run those Apps. If Vmware releases a version that is more like its ESX version where a GUI is not needed, then you would be set. till the you will need to run a full install of 2008 to install VMware products

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I am able to grep, it appears there's some difference in the IOVMM subsystem used to do the hardware partitioning/virtualization, and this can perhaps be done in BIOS on some machines with the right BIOS and an F2 chip, but it appears Microsoft recommends/requires you to use an F3 stepping AMD for Hyper-V:

http://blogs.msdn.com/mikekol/archive/2007...r-2008-rc0.aspx