What Not To Remove For Some Programs

Legolash2o

Canon Printers or Multifunctional Device(Printer/Scanner/Copy)

Components:Drivers-->Printers-->Canon

Error:Canon driver install fails.Device(s) will not be recognized

Notes:Bad thing is that this particular built in driver weights no more than ~298MB :blink: (more than any other printer driver!).

I have Canon Pixma IP2000 printer, removed Canon printer drivers but integrated IP2000 drivers (in fact they were meant for XP). Works well! :)

Im using Canon MP110.Removed def Canon drivers and integrated correct Vista x86 MP110 drivers but printer was not recognized no matter what.

EPSON has same issues, when "vistaish" drivers removed won`t install (XP nor Vista drivers)

Just hangs on driver install...no errors...no nothing... :unsure:

Only "exit" is kill setup & other setup processes from TaskManager (0% CPU usage btw, left overnight)

Tested on StylusPhoto 2200 & StylusPhoto R200

Samsung, Works fine (ML-1610) :whistle:

EDIT:

BTW there is minor error in this list... :rolleyes:

Theres a similar topic for nLite so thought... lets make one for vLite :D Eventually it will build up.

Samsung PC Studio

Components:Modem Support

Error:You wont be able to use your nokia phone as modem because driver install fails.Also PC Suite install(as a whole)may fail.

:rolleyes:

What Samsung PC Studio & Phones has to do...with Nokia Phones & Nokia PC Suite?

Edited by Etz

BTW there is minor error in this list... :rolleyes:
Theres a similar topic for nLite so thought... lets make one for vLite :D Eventually it will build up.

Samsung PC Studio

Components:Modem Support

Error:You wont be able to use your nokia phone as modem because driver install fails.Also PC Suite install(as a whole)may fail.

:rolleyes:

What Samsung PC Studio & Phones has to do...with Nokia Phones & Nokia PC Suite?

Problaby a minor spelling error that has been corrected if you look at the first post.

Is it 100% true that if you remove any components from Vista, future service packs will be uninstallable?

I read here:

http://www.leog.net/fujp_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12465

that you can remove the language packs and SP1 will still install normally.

If that is true, would it extend to any other bulk on the disk, like the non-essential bundled drivers?

Off topic now, but is there any chance of a xlite'd / hacked SP1 install that would work on a vlite'd system, such as a modularisation into individual hotfixes and a loader that will abort any failed components? Or the possibility of a similar thing for SP2 in the future?

Is it 100% true that if you remove any components from Vista, future service packs will be uninstallable?

thats true mate.Every conponent that you remove increases the risk of SP install will fail.If you know you are going to install a service pack to vLited Vista then do not remove anything.Better yet...get a Vista image with SP1 pre-integrated and remove what you want or use the vLite slipstream tab to slipstream SP1(still kinda buggy tho...).This was a big problem 3-4 months ago when SP1 was in Beta/RC.But given the options available today its a pseudo-problem.

synaptics touchpad

Components: Services -> UAC

Error: You must active UAC to setup synaptics touchpad console

:angry:

Yes. even if it is active, the detect application installations and prompt for elevation policy should be enable. One thing i do to bypass this is the following command before installing synaptic

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v EnableInstallerDetection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Would there be any interest in starting a thread that would be the reverse of this one (what programs hose Vista)? About a month ago, I purchased a new motherboard and processor, which Acronis True Image did NOT like. It was giving me corrupt images. Then I switched backup programs to Symantec Backup Exec, and my 64 bit Vista install got very unstable. It kind of snuck up on me, so that I really didn't even notice it. But I was getting a good deal of explorer.exe crashes, that is, until the day I switched back to Acronis. For some reason, my MB chipset corrupts large data chunks when going from SATA to IDE. I just have to back up to a SATA drive.

Anyway, I could have avoided a good deal of trouble if I'd known that Backup Exec was flakey under Vista.

Ventrilo

Components: Ease Of Access

If you remove Ease of Access you are unable to use the built-in TTS (text-to-speech)

Hmm.I use Ventrilo.Removed Ease of Access but so far had not had any problems with Ventrilo(i dont use text-to-speech)

Canon Printers or Multifunctional Device(Printer/Scanner/Copy)

Components:Drivers-->Printers-->Canon

Error:Canon driver install fails.Device(s) will not be recognized

Notes:Bad thing is that this particular built in driver weights no more than ~298MB :blink: (more than any other printer driver!).

I have Canon Pixma IP2000 printer, removed Canon printer drivers but integrated IP2000 drivers (in fact they were meant for XP). Works well! :)

Im using Canon MP110.Removed def Canon drivers and integrated correct Vista x86 MP110 drivers but printer was not recognized no matter what.

Ventrilo will work just fine without Ease Of Access, but if you need the TTS (text-to-speech), instead of just making a sound, the client "plays" the name of the person logging in or out of the server/channel. This will not work if the Ease of Access is removed, because the Microsoft TTS software is a part of the Ease of Access feature.

Edited by OcDevil

• 2 weeks later...

Windows Live Messenger

Components:Services-->Events Log

Notes: The Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service use Event log to work properly. You may encounter some errors when you want to use sharing folder in WLM

Edited by hannubys

Windows Live Messenger

Components:Services-->Events Log

Notes: The Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service use Event log to work properly. You may encounter some errors when you want to use sharing folder in WLM

Thanks.Now i know i wont remove Event Log.

Windows Live Messenger still works without Event Viewer (im using it now) but you just cant share folders.

Yes, that's right. I forgot to say that WLM works fine anyway