What Not To Remove For Some Programs

Legolash2o

Theres a similar topic for nLite so thought... lets make one for vLite :D Eventually it will build up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ATI Catalyst

Components: System -> .NET Framework (Extreme)

Error: "The application failed to initialize proiperly (0xc0000135).Click OK to terminate the application."

Note: You won't be able to change any settings without it. 3rd party tools can only change rudimentary settings.

Avira AntiVir 8

Components: Services -> Windows Event Log

Error: The AntiVir Guard does not start if the Event Log is removed.

Canon Printers or Multifunctional Device(Printer/Scanner/Copy)

Components:Drivers-->Printers-->Canon

Error:Canon driver install fails.Device(s) will not be recognized

Notes:Bad thing is that this particular built in driver weights no more than ~298MB :blink: (more than any other printer driver!).

I have Canon Pixma IP2000 printer, removed Canon printer drivers but integrated IP2000 drivers (in fact they were meant for XP). Works well! :)
Im using Canon MP110.Removed def Canon drivers and integrated correct Vista x86 MP110 drivers but printer was not recognized no matter what.

Dreammail

Components:Jet Database Engine

Error: Won't work properly.

Note: http://www.msfn.org/board/Dreammail-wont-open-t116903.html

Logon studio Vista

Error: Does not open.

Microsoft Update

Components:Microsoft HTML Engine and Internet Explorer

Error: Clicking "Get updates for more products" link on "Windows Update" doesn't work, it just does/opens nothing.

Nokia PC Suite

Components:Hardware Support-->Modem Support

Error:You wont be able to use your nokia phone as modem because driver install fails.Also PC Suite install(as a whole)may fail.

O&O Defrag

Error: The fails to load up complaining about Event Log not being started

Paint .NET

Samsung PC Studio

Components:Modem Support

Error:Just won't work

Smartcard Reader

Components:Hardware Support--> Smartcards

Error:Driver install fails.Device(s) not usable.

Note:Do not remove if you are using any type of smartcard reader!.

SQL Server Express 2005

Components: Services-> Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC)

Error: Failed to load SqlSpars.dll XOLEHLP.dll MSDTCPRX.dll MTXCLU.dll

Synaptics Touchpad

Components: Services -> UAC

Error: You must active UAC to setup Synaptics Touchpad console

TuneUp Utilities 2008

Components: Services -> Task Scheduler

Error: You are not able to enter the TuneUp options page. TuneUp just quits if you want to open the options and Task Scheduler isn't present.

Ventrilo

Components: Ease Of Access

Error: If you remove Ease of Access you are unable to use the built-in TTS (text-to-speech)

Ventrilo will work just fine without Ease Of Access, but if you need the TTS (text-to-speech), instead of just making a sound, the client "plays" the name of the person logging in or out of the server/channel. This will not work if the Ease of Access is removed, because the Microsoft TTS software is a part of the Ease of Access feature.

Vize

vLite

Error: "The application failed to initialize proiperly (0xc0000135).Click OK to terminate the application."

WinAMP

Component: Microsoft HTML Engine

Error:Shoutcast TV/Radio wont work without it. It installs/works fine when just playing music n movies just gets an error message when selecting an online service like the two examples above.

Note: It is safe to remove Windows Media Components and WMP when installing WinAMP as it installs codecs which lets you play AVI, MP3's etc..

Windows Live Messenger

Components: Services-->Events Log

Error: The Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service use Event log to work properly. You may encounter some errors when you want to use sharing folder in WLM

Note: Using Windows Live Messenger for normal use still works fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Got anything to add? post below :P Try not to report any if it already says in vLite. :)

I haven't found all these myself i'm just putting all the ones said below in the first post so its easier to find and they are also in alphabetical order.

Edited by LegoLiamâ„¢

Nokia PC Suite

Components:Hardware Support-->Modem Support

Error:You wont be able to use your nokia phone as modem because driver install fails.Also PC Suite install(as a whole)may fail.

Note(s):

Smartcard Reader

Components:Hardware Support-->Smartcards

Error:Driver install fails.Device(s) not usable.

Note(s):Do not remove if you are using any type of smartcard reader!.

Any Canon Printer or Multifunctional Device(Printer/Scanner/Copy)

Note(s):Bad thing is that this particular built in driver weights no more than ~298MB :blink: (more than any other printer driver!).

• 3 weeks later...

Avira AntiVir 8

Error: The AntiVir Guard does not start if the Event Log is removed.

TuneUp Utilities 2008

Components: Services -> Task Scheduler

Error: You are not able to enter the TuneUp options page. TuneUp just quits if you want to open the options and Task Scheduler isn't present.

Edited by Dynaletik

iPod with iTunes:

Components: Hardware Support-->Smartcards

Error: None

Note: You Apple iPod will simply not be recognized by iTunes

That's strange, i remove SmartCards and my iPod works fine, i use SharePod now anyways its much better, free, smaller and you can just copy the folder to your ipod so you can copy songs anywhere cos u dont have to install it.

iPod with iTunes:

Components: Hardware Support-->Smartcards

Error: None

Note: You Apple iPod will simply not be recognized by iTunes

That's strange, i remove SmartCards and my iPod works fine, i use SharePod now anyways its much better, free, smaller and you can just copy the folder to your ipod so you can copy songs anywhere cos u dont have to install it.

Hmm, will try that then :)

I thought it was stated by Apple themselves that iPod would not function (at least not as it should) if you remove / disable the smartcards

O&O Defrag

Error: The fails to load up complaining about Event Log not being started

^i'm assuming this is still valid with vista, it creates this problem in xp/2003 anyway

-edit, liam, are you on ocuk / hexus forum? or did i used to play CS with you? 'cky2k' was my cs name back in the day

Edited by bledd

Notes:Bad thing is that this particular built in driver weights no more than ~298MB :blink: (more than any other printer driver!).

I have Canon Pixma IP2000 printer, removed Canon printer drivers but integrated IP2000 drivers (in fact they were meant for XP). Works well! :)

SQL Server Express 2005

Components: Services-> Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC)

Error: Failed to load SqlSpars.dll XOLEHLP.dll MSDTCPRX.dll MTXCLU.dll

Edited by hannubys

Ventrilo

Components: Ease Of Access

If you remove Ease of Access you are unable to use the built-in TTS (text-to-speech)

Hmm.I use Ventrilo.Removed Ease of Access but so far had not had any problems with Ventrilo(i dont use text-to-speech)

Im using Canon MP110.Removed def Canon drivers and integrated correct Vista x86 MP110 drivers but printer was not recognized no matter what.

Edited by Tomorrow

This thread should be made sticky.

And more people should participate considering that Vista is going to replace XP in time.

It's not the subject but recently, the CIO of Microsoft clearly said that Vista is a "work in progress" so I really don't think that it is going to replace XP soon... Windows 7 is more likely to be the real xp killer.

This thread should be made sticky.

And more people should participate considering that Vista is going to replace XP in time.

It's not the subject but recently, the CIO of Microsoft clearly said that Vista is a "work in progress" so I really don't think that it is going to replace XP soon... Windows 7 is more likely to be the real xp killer.

Not wanting to get offtopic here:Every OS is "work in progress".XP,Mac OSX.Well maybe not Win ME :lol: