What's the deal with SP3 ?

98 Guy

I don't understand what the big rush to have this service pack . Isn't your computer working good ? Even still if you update to the latest on Microsoft update site you should have everything any ways , maybe beside a couple of things not yet there . Ok ! Big deal about got to slipstream it . The most important thing is your computer is working ok now . You will get to slipstream it sooner or later . So just have patience

SP3 makes WinXP faster and stabler + it has 2 new functions.

I doubt if its going to make that much of a difference in speed . Also I had this xp since Oct 2001 and I have never had any problems with stability

• 15 years later...
On 3/30/2008 at 9:41 PM, Volatus said:

ME was actually more stable on my Palmax PD1000 mininotebook (one of the first UMPCs of yesteryear), than the preinstalled Win98. It gave me precisely 1 BSOD every time it started up (which I was too n00b to troubleshoot at the time I owned it) but after that, it was rock solid, at least as solid as Win9x can be. I never did understand the hype regarding only ME being terrible, but I class it all as "windows 9x in general sucked". Granted, NT-based systems use a lot more memory...

Anyway, I don't really know about Vista sales. I've noticed a strange phenomenon online that can only be described as night and day. Online, there seem to be a LARGE number of people that swear by Vista and say there's nothing at all wrong with it, that my computer just sucks, etc etc etc... whereas offline, in the "real world", there's not a single person that can say anything good about Vista - in fact, many people I talk to say they won't buy a new computer because they all include Vista (even if it can be removed). There are quite few people online that actually voice up about Vista's failure. Unfortunately, the internet is where communication occurs... so if nobody's dissing Vista online... Vista proliferates and XP dies. :(

The world is a strange place. [/longpost]

Old post, but yeah, this could be Microsoft's paid astroturfing.