How to cleanly disable NetBT?

heffalump

For XP SP2 how would I go about cleanly disabling netbios? If I use the registry hack which changes transportbindname to "" (from "\device") it stops listening on port 445.

However, my event log then gets this listed three times every reboot

"Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created" to do with netbt.

If I try to disable netbios over tcp/ip from the hidden devices section of device manager and then reboot my computer starts to behave erratically. LAN icon doesn't come up for example and it locks up!

I have disabled netbios from the WINS tab on my TCP/IP connection property page. Client for MS Windows protocol is unchecked. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is disabled.

I have downloaded all updates from Microsoft to date.

Any clues how to disable it and stop getting errors filling up the event log? Thanks in advance :)

Edited by heffalump

Nevermind I found a way :) I went through the registry searching for NetBT and if it was inside a "depends on" subkey for DHCP service I removed it as a dependency. It was only DHCP affecting me which depends on NetBT! So then I disabled netbios over tcp from Hidden Devices under Device Manager. Reboot and all working fine with no port open! DHCP seems to work fine without it too.