Shockwave Player 11

rainyd

Can anyone confirm that this version works with Win98SE? In my case it looks it's been correctly installed - Firefox and Seamonkey detects plugin.

Nevertheless, on the Adobe test page: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ the window is empty.

Btw, download page is in a way misleading: Windows 98/2000/XP are listed as supported systems but when you click on the system requirements it shows Windows XP SP2 or Vista only.

It works in Maxthon 1.6 (IE6 engine). It shows a error when I close this test page but so did the former version. But on Opera I have the same problem. It detects the installation correct but I see a blank test screen too :(

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone confirm that this version works with Win98SE? In my case it looks it's been correctly installed - Firefox and Seamonkey detects plugin.

Nevertheless, on the Adobe test page: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ the window is empty.

Btw, download page is in a way misleading: Windows 98/2000/XP are listed as supported systems but when you click on the system requirements it shows Windows XP SP2 or Vista only.

It's another mess that Adobe has to fix. Report the problem to Adobe ASAP and let's see if they can resolve the problem.

I also read about other problems with Shockwave 11. See Adobe forum site here:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/for...&forumid=44

In the meantime, I'm sticking with Shockwave Player 10.3.0.24 which worked great on my next-door neighbor's Win98 SE computer and on my WinXP/Vista machines.

Edited by erpdude8

Did you un-install previous versions of Shockwave Player before installing version 11? You really need to do this.

I found out Shockwave Player 11 installs its files into the \Windows\System\Adobe\ folder instead of the \Windows\System\Macromed\ folder on a Win98 machine.

If problems persist, contact Adobe here and use this Bug Report form:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

select Shockwave as the Product name and fill out the rest

Edited by erpdude8

Did you un-install previous versions of Shockwave Player before installing version 11? You really need to do this.

Of course, I've uninstalled the previous version.

As the bug report: I'm afraid that they will not react because Win9x family aren't supported anymore.

Edited by rainyd

I'm having a problem getting this to work too.

The posts on the Adobe forum seem to relate mainly to problems with Windows 2000.

I have a dual boot machine with Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows 98SE, and have had no problem getting Shockwave 11 to work on Windows 2000. It installed fine and works fine in IE, Opera, and Firefox.

I cannot get it to work on Windows 98 though!

The standalone full installer seems to work on Windows 98 fine.

It seems to install and puts all the necessary files in the right places and writes at least some of the necessary registry keys (I can tell this by comparing with the Windows 2000 installation.)

However, if I go the the Adobe test page using IE, the pop-up comes up asking me if I want to install the ActiveX code for Shockwave 11. If I say yes, it runs then immediately crashes. On Opera I just get a blank white area where the plug-in should be (I don't have Firefox installed on Windows 98.)

It appears what's happening is that the installer is trying to run a program called "swdnld.exe", which will not run on Windows 98. It just crashes straight away if you try to run it, even in Safe Mode.

I have tried making the Windows 98 installation exactly the same as the Windows 2000 installation, checking that all the files are present in the correct folders, and copying registry keys from one OS to the other.

The ActiveX files are present in the "Downloaded Program Files" folder, and the ActiveX control is listed in the "Objects" list in the Internet Settings, and appears to be installed correctly.

So why is the system still asking me to download and install the ActiveX control when I visit a Shockwave site?

There must be one vital piece of the jigsaw missing, but I can't identify what it is.

Has anyone any ideas?

Until I can get past that hurdle, I can't tell if the Shockwave system really is working or not.

The previous version is completely removed BTW, I did a normal uninstall, and used Adobe's removal tool, and then I manually purged any remaining files and any remaining references to it in the registry.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

hmm, can you try running Shockwave Player 11 on a Win98/ME machine with the latest version of KernelEx installed?

I haven't tried that because I don't have KernelEx installed (but I may well try it one day).

Unfortunately I've now found anyway that the OS compatibility problem with recent versions of the Shockwave Player is more fundamental than I thought.

In fact my installation on Windows 2000 doesn't work properly either I've now found!

Although it appeared to install OK, and works on Adobe's test page, if I actually try and use in on any real content, it asks to download additional components, but the installation crashes with the "cannot load DLL library system32/kernel32.dll (GetSystemWow64DirectoryA) The procedure could not be found" error message, as quoted in the Adobe forums.

This is presumably an entry point in kernel32.dll which exists in XP and Vista, but doesn't exist in the version used in Windows 2000, and therefore almost certainly won't exist in the Windows 98 version either.

KernelEx may fix this of course, and I'd be interested to know if that is actually the case from someone who has got it installed.

It looks as if Adobe have broken compatibility with Windows 2000 and Windows 98 in Shockwave version 11, which is not something that they will now do anything about I expect as they'll just bring out the old line about them being obsolete operating systems.

Incidentally Shockwave version 10.3.0.024 gave exactly the same problem for me on Windows 2000 when I tried it, so it's the last release of version 10 as well as version 11 which no longer works except in XP and Vista. :realmad:

I've now rolled back to version 10.2.0.023, which works perfectly on Windows 2000 and Windows 98.

Presumably as time goes on it will become increasingly incompatible with new content though. :(

• 1 month later...
I've now rolled back to version 10.2.0.023, which works perfectly on Windows 2000 and Windows 98.

Presumably as time goes on it will become increasingly incompatible with new content though. :(

Thanks for that info, I was having the same problems with shockwave, but I installed the version you rolled back to and hey presto it installed and works when visiting the Adobe test page.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for that info, I was having the same problems with shockwave, but I installed the version you rolled back to and hey presto it installed and works when visiting the Adobe test page.

:rolleyes:

Glad you got it working!

:thumbup

I really do wish that software manufacturers would make it clear what operating systems their products do or don't support.

Adobe did not make it clear in this case, and they're not alone in this.

All software download pages should make it clear which OSs the thing runs on, and should also give links for the latest version that does run on other OSs.

You do get the impression now on many download sites that if you run any Windows version before XP SP2 you don't exist any more!

:realmad:

You do get the impression now on many download sites that if you run any Windows version before XP SP2 you don't exist any more!

Yeah Ive found that too.

I have the same problem I think with the Adobe Reader, as when I open a pdf file I see a message at the top right hand corner that says update adobe reader, when I click on this I get an Adobe update page, when I select Windows 98 and hit go nothing updates.

Do you know which version was last working for 98 S.E?

Yeah Ive found that too.

I have the same problem I think with the Adobe Reader, as when I open a pdf file I see a message at the top right hand corner that says update adobe reader, when I click on this I get an Adobe update page, when I select Windows 98 and hit go nothing updates.

Do you know which version was last working for 98 S.E?

I think that Acrobat 6.0.5 is the last version to officially support Windows 98SE, but I believe some people have had success with version 7, but not version 8.

There is a very good and useful sticky thread at the top of the forum which lists the last versions of many pieces of software that officially support Windows 98.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

I think that Acrobat 6.0.5 is the last version to officially support Windows 98SE, but I believe some people have had success with version 7, but not version 8.

I have version 6.0.6 - 08/01/07 it works on 98

• 4 months later...

The problem with Shockwave 11 and Windows 2000 is related to gdiplus.dll not being in the system path (%Windir%\System32) as it is by default in Windows XP. To correct the issue, a copy of gdiplus.dll (which can usually be found somewhere under the Program Files folder) can be placed in the %Windir%\System32\Adobe\Shockwave 11 folder.