Can't transfer(send) files with Mensager or MIRC

DumDum

Hi!

I am not able to send files with messenger or MIRC, I've XP firewall disableb.

It tell me(when using messenger) that file transfer is disabled....???

When I use Win98 everything goes fine...

Does anyone can help me?

Thanks!!

DumDum

here give this ago, dont really know ur connection setup but this might help fix ur prob

1. First you must limit the range of port that mirc use in the Dcc, Option menu. In DCC ports , set both at 1024.

2. After, go into control panel & network connections

2. Right click on your connection and select 'properties'

3. Left click the advanced tab

4. Left click the settings button

5. Under services, left click the add button

6. For description type "DCC", for Name of IP put the name that identifies your system with your ISP OR your IP if it is static.

7. Both external and internal ports are 1024 by default and TCP.

8. Click OK and restart

If that doesnt fix ur prob, I suggest maybe installing a prog like Trillian...which is very user friendly for XP

I've discovered the problem, it was Norton Personal FireWall.

Even disabled it won't let me send files using messenger or mirc, isn't that stupid???

After unistalling the Norton Personal FW(s*** program) everything went back to normal.

I have to choose another firewall, I was thinking using Tiny Personal Fire Wall or ZoneAlarm....

Can anyone help me with this choise??

Thanks

i have the same problem cant send or received files no matter what IM i use; icq,messenger,yahoo.trillian,etc........xp firewall disable, used to have za pro, i unistall it and out tiny firewall and still the same problem....i have dsl (it uses dynamic ip), not in a network.......any ideas???

renakuajo:

I had a similar issue. I use earthlink dsl, and I couldn't transfer files, then I noticed that i had to forward the ports (open ports) in my router to allow for the transfer of files.

Another scenario, was that when two ppl over instat messaging using routers it was quite hard to send files w/o disabling a few things....

Another scenario, was with a software firewall as DumDum mentioned, but that was fairly easy to resolve.

Anyhow going back to the main question:

DumDum: both are pretty good. I like tiny more, but that's just based on preference, nothing else.

Ok guys.......when asking for help instead of us all guessing its nice to supply all info needed. So lets think, If we cant transfer files the info probaly needed is...

Connection type?

Router?

Programs using?

Firewall?

did you uninstall they right?

Clean registery out?

It makes are job alot easy instead of guessing and playing tag with post.

-XPerties

ok!

here it goes...

Fase 1:

Connection type -> DSL using XP Dial UP

Modem -> Alcatel speed touch home ISDN

Programs using -> Messenger & MIRC

Firewall -> XP Firewall disabled both for ethernet card and DialUP DSL connection. Norton Personal Firewall 2002 installed but disabled

Fase 2:

Uninstall Norton PFW 2002, reg cleaned

Fase 3:

Installed Tiny Personal Firewall and enabled it.

Status: Can send files after creating the apropiate firewall rule

Conclusion: Norton PFW 2002 even if disabled or even after a reboot with the option "run on windows startup" disabled, still controls your internet connections....stupid(I think)

I had NPF 2002 running on my puter for a while, didnt really find anything wrong with it....actually thought it had a few good features. But there are some other better options/progs that are available and Im not that keen on many norton products.

[b:3e718558f0]DumDum[/b:3e718558f0] if I remember correctly on NPF u have to config ur Internet access control which allows the .exe files of programs to access the internet as to ur firewall rules settings...be it custom settings or automatic

I did configure NPFW 2002 rule for messenger and gave it all permitions (any address and any port) and it didn't worked.

As I told U before I even disabled NPFW 2002 and I couldn't send a file with messenger.

Only when I unistall it I was able to send files via Messenger or mirc.