Can't Burn CD-R / CD R/W Through Windows Explorer

hougtimo

Hi,

one of my clients can no longer burn a CD (r or rw) through windows explorer.

It comes up with "e:/ IS NOT ACCESSIBLE : INCORRECT FUNCTION

However, burning through roxio / nero works fine.

Anyone know whats going on here? I checked the imapi service is started etc...

The disks I'm using are unused HP CDrs - But have tried Verbatim CD R/Ws too...so I don't think it is disk specific.

Thanks

Ok - don't know what the issue is now...just put an audio cd in and when u open it in windows explorer there is one file for each track but they're only 1kb each and have the extension "CDA_Auto_File" - The cd is a music cd bought from a shop.

Any ideas?

For the first issue:

Open Properties of your burner, go ti Recording tab and make sure that option that enables recording is checked.

Second issue:

You need to use some ripping software to copy your songs to computer. You can use Windows Media Player for example.

Cheers ;)

For the first issue:

Open Properties of your burner, go ti Recording tab and make sure that option that enables recording is checked.

Second issue:

You need to use some ripping software to copy your songs to computer. You can use Windows Media Player for example.

Cheers ;)

Ok, there doesn't appear to be a recording tab

Already tried ripping the music (I'm not that stupid!) but the same thing happened. I reinstalled the dvd r/w drivers and now wmp11 recognises & plays them even though they still claim to b 1kb each.

Still won't burn through - and there is no recording tab on burner properties.

Roxio always hoses things (I hate it)... anyways, here is your fix.

Save the following code to 'RemoveFilters.reg'

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"LowerFilters"=-
"UpperFilters"=-

Run the 'RemoveFilters.reg' file on the system, go to Device Manager and Uninstall the burner and then select to have it scan for hardware again. Reboot the system and it should be fixed now. (may have to reinstall Roxio after the filters are removed)

Edited by twig123

Roxio always hoses things (I hate it)... anyways, here is your fix.

Save the following code to 'RemoveFilters.reg'

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"LowerFilters"=-
"UpperFilters"=-

Run the 'RemoveFilters.reg' file on the system, go to Device Manager and Uninstall the burner and then select to have it scan for hardware again. Reboot the system and it should be fixed now. (may have to reinstall Roxio after the filters are removed)

Sorry - It didn't work!

The only way I can get windows to see it is a recordable drive is to set it to type "2" in the registry - which enables me to put stuff in there ready for burning - but it won't recognise blank CDs, and therefore won't burn!

Also, Roxio does not appear to be installed.
Strange, because in your first post you stated "However, burning through roxio / nero works fine"

I'm lost as to how the application doesn't appear to be installed... however, burns fine....

try this:

Change the following Registry key to have the value of 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoCDBurning

(0=Enable CD Burning, 1=Disable CD Burning)

Open My Computer

Right-Click on the drive w/ the problem

Properties

Recording Tab

and then check the "Enable CD Recording On This Drive" box.

If the recording tab does not show, they XP doesn't think the drive is a writer for some reason. If you get any errors let us know what they are so that we can further try to help.

Edited by twig123

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I have this problem on my PC too. :blink: And also one error - no language bar near the clock (right downer corner). I was check my PC with PC Tools Spyware Doctor, but problem did not solve. Are there somebody knows the reason of it ? :blushing:

Hi,

one of my clients can no longer burn a CD (r or rw) through windows explorer.

Anyone know whats going on here? I checked the imapi service is started etc...

The disks I'm using are unused HP CDrs - But have tried Verbatim CD R/Ws too...so I don't think it is disk specific.

Thanks

One thing to check...

I don't know if you're using XP Pro or Home ed., but if you have XP Pro, go to the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) and check the following setting:

User Config/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Explorer/Remove CD Burning Features

If this setting is turned on, then the computer will behave exactly as you are describing (I don't know where this setting may resides in the registry).

Also, if you are on a domain, this setting may be controlled by a domain group policy, in which case you won't be able to modify it from the local client.

Ok - don't know what the issue is now...just put an audio cd in and when u open it in windows explorer there is one file for each track but they're only 1kb each and have the extension "CDA_Auto_File" - The cd is a music cd bought from a shop.

Any ideas?

If I'm reading this correctly, this is normal. You won't be able to actually "see" the track files in Windows Explorer.