Unattended Network Install Issues

Hi Folks,

I mistakenly posted this in the RIS forum. I am reposting here to hopefully get more exposure and a solution.

Please ask an appropriate Moderator for a topic to be moved, don't re-post it in another location!

I'm having a strange issue with my unattended network install and hope someone can help. After the first reboot, when my apps begin installing, I am getting a Open File - Security Warning and a prompt asking if I want to run the file for every exe file that runs. If I sit and click Run on every app, everything runs fine, but that isn't really unattended now is it?

I should not that this install runs absolutely fine when running from a DVD, and parses completely without user intervention. As a matter of fact, it is the same set of files and the same RunOnceEx that I use with my DVD install. I simply moved the $OEM$ folder under the i386 folder on the network share as required for network installs.

What I can't understand is why it would work for one installation method and not the other.

**UPDATE**

A little more searching found this link. I applied the registry change that Sonic supplied, but that didn't seem to help.

I would appreciate any and all help!

Edited by Yzöwl
See [Quote]

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download]
"CheckExeSignatures"="no"
"RunInvalidSignatures"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".zip;.rar;.nfo;.txt;.exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov"

This is the one you need...

Edited by Yzöwl
Added all the missing backslashes and closing double-quote!

Thanks Kelsenellenelvian, but it's not working for me.

I placed the info below into a reg file and call it from RunOnceEx (as the first item), but I still get prompted by the Open File Security Warning (OFSW) when the next app runs. And I have double checked and made sure that the keys are actually created and exist in the registry.

I'm using Vmware to run my tests. What I cant understand is why this runs fine booting directly off of an ISO file in a VM, but exe's prompt me with the OFSW when running from a network install. For the network installation, I boot a VM using a WinPE CD. Then I connect to a network share, map a drive and run the unattended install. Could it possibly be a permissions issue?

Have any other ideas?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download]
"CheckExeSignatures"="no"
"RunInvalidSignatures"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".zip;.rar;.nfo;.txt;.exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov"

This is the one you need...

Hmm, i would have thought that the fix which Kelsenellenelvian provided you with, would have done the trick, but the reg-entries then needs to be applied sooner...

Anyway, you probably allready know that the warning comes from an attribute placed on *.exe's downloaded with IE, and that Kelsenellenelvian's reg-entries would disable the prompts, but you can also just select 'Properties' on all the *.exe's from the share and then choose 'Unblock' at the bottom, to strip that lame attribute off once and for all :)

Hi Martin,

I actually got this working doing exactly what you said. This is the first chance I have had to come back to this post or else i would have replied sooner. I had to select the Properties on all the *.exe's and chose "Unblock" on every one. Once I did that, the install ran fine without having to implement the reg changes Kelsenellenelvian provided.

I thought for sure adding those reg entries would have done it too. As I said in an earlier post, the same files run fine from a DVD. Weird, maybe nLite strips the info from them when creating the ISO?

Once again, thanks to all for the help!

Hmm, i would have thought that the fix which Kelsenellenelvian provided you with, would have done the trick, but the reg-entries then needs to be applied sooner...

Anyway, you probably allready know that the warning comes from an attribute placed on *.exe's downloaded with IE, and that Kelsenellenelvian's reg-entries would disable the prompts, but you can also just select 'Properties' on all the *.exe's from the share and then choose 'Unblock' at the bottom, to strip that lame attribute off once and for all :)