Funny XP Graphic Driver Business

hougtimo

Hi,

I got called out to fix the computer of someone I know.

The original problem was his brand new HP Photojet printer wouldn't print from Microsoft Works (relatively old copy). I soon rectified this by making a shadow printer driver labelled HP Deskjet 550.

Everything was running fine, and did several reboots before I left.

Next morning I get a call from him saying he has no visual output. What happened was he booted up his computer, everything came up in 640x480res with 4-bit colour depth. Then after he tried to slide the screen res up it blanked out.

I got the image back by booting up in "Last Known Good Config" which got the visual output back, and installed the latest drivers for his graphics chip (Intel 82845G) - Once again everything was back to normal. I rebooted the PC and still all was fine.

I then tried turning the computer off completely then restarted, and it came back in 640x480 res...again.

I have tracked the problem down to Norton System Protection, which I disabled then reinstalled the drivers.

Everything is now fine untill I reactivate Norton, which then resets everything to 640x480 4-bit.

Really really annoying. He has only just bought Norton (Not on my advice!!!) and doesn't want to get rid.

What can I do to rectify this?

Thanks

hmm... nasty situation...

might want to right click My Computer, Manage, and check the system event viewer and see if you see any conflicts/errors in there that might be related.... but my first guess (far out there guess lol ) would be to try and reinstall Norton's? But to completely remove Norton's you have to have a tool from their website to "completely" remove it...

hmm... nasty situation...

might want to right click My Computer, Manage, and check the system event viewer and see if you see any conflicts/errors in there that might be related.... but my first guess (far out there guess lol ) would be to try and reinstall Norton's? But to completely remove Norton's you have to have a tool from their website to "completely" remove it...

Thanks for the reply :)

I have already checked the Event Manager...and unfortunately there is nothing in there which relates to this problem.

I'm a bit wary of reinstalling Norton, as last time I did it, it involved a very long winded telephone conversation regarding re-activation.

I guess there's no other way to do it though?

Really really annoying. He has only just bought Norton (Not on my advice!!!) and doesn't want to get rid.

What can I do to rectify this?

My first advice would be to give the customer the telephone number of the Symantec Support. :whistle:

My second one would be to behave like plumbers do since the dawn of time:

http://www.cascademech.com/Larson-EarlyPlumbing.jpg

and start working on the solution. ;)

And yes, I would (temporarily) remove complete the Norton System Protection, and reinstall the drivers.

It is however queer that the machine started "acting" when you did something else (on the printer side), so it is may possible that there is some connection to that as well. :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by Yzöwl
large image replaced with direct link

Educate him by literally showing him that it's a Norton problem. Tell him he can get a full refund for the crapware as well by calling Symantec and telling them that their products suck and are breaking his computer.

Remember, SymNRT is your friend.

Educate him by literally showing him that it's a Norton problem. Tell him he can get a full refund for the crapware as well by calling Symantec and telling them that their products suck and are breaking his computer.

Remember, SymNRT is your friend.

Unfortunately, If I showed him what was going on he would reply by saying "So do I need a new bit in the case?" - Not the brightest (computer-wise) of chaps.

Been working on it for the last couple of hours, it is indeed very frustrating.

Any other ideas?

well.... if he doesnt want to completely remove norton's but with its protection running it crashes up the computer like so, ask him how would he feel if he just ran norton's for its virus scanning instead of live protection? you could disable it from starting on startup in msconfig and have him manually run the virus scan when he wants to scan.

you can tell him that would free up about 40-60mb of ram increasing his computers speed if you need something else to help convince him lol. but that way he keeps norton's and the printer ?

well.... if he doesnt want to completely remove norton's but with its protection running it crashes up the computer like so, ask him how would he feel if he just ran norton's for its virus scanning instead of live protection? you could disable it from starting on startup in msconfig and have him manually run the virus scan when he wants to scan.

you can tell him that would free up about 40-60mb of ram increasing his computers speed if you need something else to help convince him lol. but that way he keeps norton's and the printer ?

I have been running the PC for the last 40 mins with Norton disabled and its has been running as sweet as. Trouble is, Norton Antivirus won't actually load unless all the services of Norton are running before hand...which then makes it all play up again.

I think I'm going to have no option but to enlighten him to free / better alternatives!