Playing Old Games

u2kforever

Just a few, like turok 2, carmageddon 2 and 3, blood 2 the chosen, war gods, etc.

I'm going to install XP later today or in a few days over win98se to see how well it works. If Xp works just like WIN98SE, and if i can run everything which i can run now, plus more with ease, than i will put win98se in the past and move on to XP. However, after testing alot, if Xp doesn't run correctly with things which i have now, well i will just reinstall win98se again. I have the 2 discs and i am keeping them. And i will buy Vista as my secondary computer soon, which i plan on buying anyway for the newer stuff.

Just was wondering how does xp handle games.

It depends on which games you want to play.

Games made for Windows will often work quite good under XP, old DOS-games are a bit worse.

Here's one DOS-emulator, search and you'll find more.

Some games are playable with XP if you select compatibility mode in the preferences for the game/its shortcut.

Edited by DL.

Every game I play is older than 6 years. I have a few that were released in 1998. All were designed under Win98. For me, they all run perfectly well on XP. On my system they may all work perfectly, on yours they may not. The only way to find out is install them. If you are changing from Win98 to XP get ready for a shock. The shock comes when you realise how bad Win98 is in comparison.

Edited by Luxman

The other option for getting old games to work in XP is using the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit. I only used it once, and that was to get the sound to work in Destruction Derby 2, which is a DOS (really W95 DOS Mode) game.