MS Access Question

ImmaBeatThatAzz

Hello all

I created a database with MS Acess at work,The databse resides on a server. I then went ahead and split the database and placed the backend (data) in a folder on the network that can be accessed by all the workstations that need to use the databse.. The front end is also in the same folder... I created and mde file so no changes can be made by mistake or otherwise to the any part of the databse.. I created a shortcut from this mde file and placed it on the desktop of the workstations that need to use the database but they keep getting a network or disk error please colse application and open it again....Is there something I'mnot doing right??? or did I miss a step ?? I need to be able to make the workstations be able to access the database for daily use..

1. Do the users have access to this network drive? MS Access needs rights to create a temp file (*.ldb) in the network folder and without sufficient rights, they will not be able to open them. try creating a text file in the network drive using one of the users' logins to troubleshoot.

2. If you have split up the back-end and front-end, why not just place the front-end on each client instead? Link tables as needed to the backend, however, you will need network access as in #1 above. Having multiple users connect to the same front-end is asking for trouble... Is this even possible? Never tried it...

Hope this helps.

Team 929,

Yes the users have access to the network drive.. they can access it.. open it.. etc.. the permissions are set.. I did place a copy of the front end on each users station which has linked tables to the back end.. Im at a total loss at what the problem can be.

Let me see if I understand your problem:

-You have the back-end on a network folder.

-You have the front-ends on the clients' local drive.

-The linked tables from the front-end to the back-end gives you an error.

-You mentioned an error in the original post, could you confirm or rewrite what the error exactly says?

Some things you can try if you haven't already to hopefully narrow down the root problem:

1. Open and see if you can open the linked tables at all manually inside the table section of the front-end. See if this at least works.

2. Try relinking the tables in the front-end inside one of the user's logins (or a temp user account with the same rights), perhaps the links are off or corrupted.

3. Try recreating a new mdb (i.e. temp.mdb) and link the tables again to see if works. If it works, then there's an issue with the front end. If it doesn't, more likely a connection problem.

4. Browse through Windows explorer to the back-end folder to see if you can even see it. Try opening the back-end file to see if it opens, etc. If it gives you errors, this might give you the hint you need.

5. Try compacting and repairing both files.

6. I have seen cases where linked tables to an Access back-end just does not open, even if you can see the mdb in the network drive. I have had to recreate the folder with the same name in order for it work. If the network folder is located on a client OS (Windows XP) and not on a Server OS (win 2000 server, 2003 server, etc.), it may be the case.

7. Does each client installation of Access fully installed or just the typical installation? Perhaps you made the front-end using a component that is not installed with just a typical installation of Access.

Hope this helps.

Yes I created the database on the network server with access 2003... when the database was finished I split the databse and placed the back end in a shared folder on the network server and placed the front end in the same folder on the network server.. I then placed a copy of the front end on the desktop of the users and then created an MDE file and placed it on the desktop as well. When I try and open the databse with either the copy of the front end or the MDE file from the users workstation I get a network or disk error. The error I receive is 'Network or Disk Error close database and open again' I can open the database with no problem on the network server where I created it.

1. Yes the linked tables work when i open them

2. I browsed through windows explorer and I can see the back end

3. Im going to start from scratch again.. I am going to delete the database and start fresh with a copy of the database that I have and split it and create the mde file etc

4. The network folder is located on a windows 2003 server O/S

5. The workstations have the full installation of access

Team 929 thank you for the help, I appreciate it... I'll give you an update once I've done it all over again... is it okay if i contact you through messages?

I remember pounding my head with Access on more than one occasion, I feel you! It's a good program but obviously, it has its drawbacks as well. I don't mind messages but I think it would benefit the greater whole if we kept the discussions here so that others may learn of your fix as well.

Team 929,

Ok I did the whole thing from scratch, It seems like there was a problem with the linking of the table... I believe it happened due to a renaming of the database before or after the split.. The name of the database was respondent so I believe after I split the database with the name being respondent I renamed the database to something else and I believe thats what was preventing the database from opening through the network.. By changing the name after it was split and linked it changed I guess the path for lack of a better word..in any case the database opens now from the users workstations but now I get an invalid argument when it opens... any idea or know what to do with this error?

You usually see invalid argument errors when a query, sub, function, etc. is not being properly fed the correct number of inputs. For example, if you have a query to Insert 10 field names into a table that has 9 fields, that would give you an invalid argument. Calling functions and subs in vba without passing the correct number of variables will give the same error.

It would help if you could be more specific when (on Form open? on query execute?) and where (vba editor? behind form?) the error occurs along with the exact message again.

Hope the above helps.

Well it happens when I double click the MDE Icon on the desktop to open the database on the users workstation.. I double click it and it opens the database but instead of the switchboard poppin out as it is supposed to (and does on the machine where I created the database) a box pops up stating invalid arguement.

All I can think of is making an mdb and seeing if that works. Again. try recreating the back-end as well if you have not already, although compacting and repairing should help too. If you have a Form on open, then focus on that. If you have a table opening, check the linked table. It could be an MDE issue so try using an MDB to debug. Unfortunately, other that that, I'm out of ideas....