[SOLVED] Install Multiple XP/Vista/PE/2003 from USB

But, only one thing is missing. At the normal procedure, I'd choose to change the letter of the usb stick for U: . Now, this option didn't appear. It's possible to make that change?

Yes, you are right, that is not yet in the program.

It was OK when there was only one XP Source and the folder was $WIN_NT$.~BT

For Multiple XP from USB, where the Content of first stick is used as Content Source for another stick

I will need to change the program.

The program will treat the first made stick correct and give it BootDrive Letter U:

But for now you can change it to BootDrive Letter U: with MkMigrateInf2.cmd from the makebt folder.

Open first a command window at USB_MultiBoot_10\makebt and give following commands:

MkMigrateInf2.cmd %usbdrive% %usbdrive%\$WIN_01$.~BT\migrate.inf
MkMigrateInf2.cmd %usbdrive% %usbdrive%\$WIN_02$.~BT\migrate.inf

where %usbdrive% is your USB-drive as seen in Windows Explorer e.g. R:

Edited by wimb

Now if I only had Multiple MSDOS/DOS on this USB drive and a BIOS that knew how to boot a USB drive or stick to load

any of these OS' !!!!!!!! Hmmmm! I guess I'm stuck imaging the USB drives with the multiple OS'

and writing them to a DVD so the BIOS can at least boot the CD/DVD!!!!! :whistle:

I haven't found an MSDOS USB Driver to recognize any USB stick or drive yet. And even if I did,

then the MSDOS would probably restrict it to only 640K or 1 meg due to the MSDOS OS limitation. :wacko:

Here's a question as food for thought. Can I compress/squeeze all of these OS' loaded onto a USB drive/stick

down to below the 1 meg memory limit for MSDOS? I know the answer is no. Thus, I'm probably stuck splitting

the OS disk image into 1.44 floppy disk images and writing them to floppies then.... Please insert disk 1 ..

disk 2.....disk 1E12 into drive A: :rolleyes:

@mikesw

Don't take this the wrong way :) but what you posted does not make much sense.

The "1 meg" limit for MS-DOS has NOTHING to do with USB booting, I assure you.

Why don't you start a new thread, this here is about ANOTHER topic ( XP install from USB), detailing what your problem is, and what you actually would like to do?

Maybe there are solutions for it.

jaclaz

@mikesw

Please explain!

So you don't have a BIOS that can boot USB sticks?

You want to load DOS from a USB stick?

If you can express your problems in a clearer way it would be easier for us to help you.

And as jaclaz mentioned, this post is about installing multiple OS from USB - if your issue does not fit in this topic perhaps it's best to start a new post.

Edited by andy_le2k

Please explain!

So you don't have a BIOS that can boot USB sticks? This is correct! The BIOS is to old to recognize any USB

Device as a boot device. This includes USB HDD drives too. Nor am I able to find an MSDOS USB driver to use

with a USB (stick, HDD or CD/DVD) drive so that once I boot from a floppy disk containing MSDOS and using the USB

driver, I'll be able to install any of the Win OS' that this thread allows one to install

You want to load DOS from a USB stick? Since all Windows OS' were being put on a USB type device, all I was

stating was, why not MSDOS/DOS too to make the multiple OS install complete with MSOFT OS' to install.

If you can express your problems in a clearer way it would be easier for us to help you.

And as jaclaz mentioned, this post is about installing multiple OS from USB - if your issue does not fit in this topic perhaps it's best to start a new post.

As far as my comment about the memory limit of MSDOS, I was joking around about the compresssion comment, since MSDOS doesn't recognize large HDD drives of multiple GIGA Bytes as far as I know. Thus with MSDOS being 16 bit addressing, I can't get past the 1 meg limit needed to address (acccess) large disk drives. Note: I know that Windows 95/98 have MSDOS which is 32 bit which allows larger disk drives, but

my comment was about MSDOS/DOS and not Win 95/98. Maybe you want to include Win95/Win98 on your

list of OS' to install from the USB HDD too.

:hello:

Edited by mikesw

I don't see the point since your BIOS cannot boot from USB.

However, you may want to try the PLOP bootmanager:

http://www.plop.at/

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmngrusblog.html

Win95, win 98 and Me DOS, i.e. DOS 7.x and 8.0 are 16 bit, exactly as MS-DOS 6.22 were.

There is normally no problem whatsoever in booting/installing these systems, including MS-DOS 6.22 from USB, since ALL DOSes rely on BIOS, they work allright if the BIOS support booting from USB.

Of course you cannot install (no matter from what media) install MS-DOS on a non FAT12 or FAT16 partition, (the latter filesystem has a limit of 2 Gb), but you can pretty well use an .img and boot it through grub4dos.

jaclaz

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't know if this is the right section to ask a question regarding multiple OS installer-in-one like Windows XP and Windows 2003 server.

I've been searching in the forum if there is a tutorial about this but I can't find any, all I can find is XP and Win 7.

Can you please point or show me a tutorial on how to make a multiboot for Windows XP and Windows 7 please.

Thank you.