SlipStreaming Ambuigity

perdue112

Hello:

Having created a directory for slipstreaming Windows 2000, copying the W2K Setup CD to this directory,I am halting this task because there seems to be a contradiction.

First, you said the program will point to needed updates and patches, and you said that they must be downloaded by using Windows Update process.

Whenever I have gone to the update page and the system automatically detects needed files,downloads and installs all updates and patches, it will ignore any subsequent return to this area for updates again because it has read your hard drive and knows what it has already installed. It will do nothing, zilch. Now how are you going to bypass this automatic update and get files?

In disgust, I went to the Microsoft Download Center where it listed 694 files which are available, grouped in numbes of 1-20 for each page. It would take a total of 34.7 downloads to get all 694 at 20 files per page.

What is the proper way to get these updates and patches?

Thanks,

perdue112

First, you said the program will point to needed updates and patches

Who said ? What program ?

Though being a wonder, nLite doesn't do what you are thinking it does. There are some official (and non official) Service Packs for W2k, this is a good beginning. 2k threads are becomming rare on this forum but I'm sure a little search will get you further.

Hello:

Having created a directory for slipstreaming Windows 2000, copying the W2K Setup CD to this directory,I am halting this task because there seems to be a contradiction.

First, you said the program will point to needed updates and patches, and you said that they must be downloaded by using Windows Update process.

Whenever I have gone to the update page and the system automatically detects needed files,downloads and installs all updates and patches, it will ignore any subsequent return to this area for updates again because it has read your hard drive and knows what it has already installed. It will do nothing, zilch. Now how are you going to bypass this automatic update and get files?

In disgust, I went to the Microsoft Download Center where it listed 694 files which are available, grouped in numbes of 1-20 for each page. It would take a total of 34.7 downloads to get all 694 at 20 files per page.

What is the proper way to get these updates and patches?

Thanks,

perdue112

The proper way would be to copy your original cd to a folder, and download W2K Service Pack 4. Use nlite to slipstream it, and install in a virtual machine. This way you can see what updates are needed. Once you are up and running on the virtual machine, visit http://www.microsoft.com/mbsa to get the MS Baseline Security Analyzer. Once installed, scan your computer, and it will list all updates needed. Then you have a trimmed list. Once you are looking at the update list, the simplest way to get the updates, In My Opinion, is to go to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com and type in the knowledge base id or the ms security bulletin id (KBxxxxxx or MS0x-xx). Find the appropriate file for your system, and download it. Then once you have them all, open nlite, find your SP4 cd on your drive, select Hotfixes and Update Packs, and insert all of the files you downloaded. Then hit next and yes to start the process. Once done, take the new cd and install it to the virtual machine (format the virtual machine first), and go to windows update to make sure they all installed.