What causes a HDD to go bad?

I have had a 320G WD for around 3 months and Had to get a replacement. I monitor my HDD temps and never get above 34C. This HDD is used for only storing movies. I am using Diskeeper 2008 on VISTA and it is set to Auto. I also manually Defrag when I make changes (adding and removing).

Thanks.

I would say "Manufacturing Fault" or it took a big hit...

Thanks, thats what I was thinking but, this is the 2nd HDD go out on me and I just wanted to know if there were other things that can cause them to go bad.

OK. I have 3 HDDS now (1X320g, 1X200G and 1X80g until my replacement comes, which is another 320g). When I restarted I got a error message " "Hard disk failure is imminent. Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced".

Edited by LUZR4LIFE

well if you get that error again, immedialty backup the drive, dont use the computer until you do back it up.

as punto hinted at, what psu do you have?

I have already disconnected it until I can clone it. But I am using a EarthWatts 500 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply, it is about 8 months old.

You said this is the 2nd drive that's gone out. Is this the "same" drive? By that, I mean is the 2nd failed drive the replacement for the 1st failed drive? If so, check your power connections to see if it's on a different power cable than the other drives (i.e. are the other drives all connected to the same cable, but this one is on a seperate one?). If so, you could have a bad power cable coming from the PSU, or a bad rail (which would've been causing other problems as well).

You said this is the 2nd drive that's gone out. Is this the "same" drive? By that, I mean is the 2nd failed drive the replacement for the 1st failed drive? If so, check your power connections to see if it's on a different power cable than the other drives (i.e. are the other drives all connected to the same cable, but this one is on a seperate one?). If so, you could have a bad power cable coming from the PSU, or a bad rail (which would've been causing other problems as well).

Yes, this was a replacement drive that went bad. I have 2 320G HDD on on pwr cord with a P11 connection. Unfortunately I don't recall how I had the pwr setup when the last one went bad. I will mark the pwr cord this time when t he replacement comes, to see if it is limited to that specific P11. Thanks.

From past experience, hard drive going dead.

Watch out for louder than normal sound coming from hard drive.

Usually precursor to failing.

If u here it clicking it means its failing or failed.

From past experience, hard drive going dead.

Watch out for louder than normal sound coming from hard drive.

Usually precursor to failing.

If u here it clicking it means its failing or failed.

Thanks for your help, I know that when it gets noise that its a sign of it going bad, in this case there were no noises just a warning to backup and replace..