Sun Java crashes when called from Firefox - consistently

North of Watford

I am running Win 98 SE as patched and extended by Soporific's Auto-patcher for Windows 98. I have let it install most things, including the current Java. I also run Firefox 2.0.0.12. Every time a page on the latter latter calls for Java, rather than Javascript, it starts the call, but I get error messages about pointer exceptions etc. A crash out of Firefox is needed. An OS reboot is the only way out of continuing system instability thereafter.

I have other programs that run Java direct, they occasional just go AWOL (absent without leave!). Running and then for no apparent reason they cease to run. Java then refuses to run again until the OS is rebooted.

I know that it must be possible to have Java 1.6.0.xx running on Win98, otherwise these forums would be full of the most vociferous protests! So what have I fouled up? More precisely, how can I clean it all out and restart afresh? Just using the Uninstall option in Windows Control Panel makes no noticeable difference, a re-installed Javabehaves in just the same way.

[if it is of relevance, I am also getting some objections by the Kernel32.dll that it has been attacked by other programs, which must be closed. But I haven't yet found the time to do a fresh install to see if that one goes away.]

Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Jeff

ok, some Firefox tweaks are in order - should help solve your problem.

open Firefox

type: about:config in the browser window

add or change these lines:

(if it doesn't exist create it by right clicking in an open area > new

browser.preferences.instantApply > boolean>true (makes the changes apply instantly)

content.interrupt.parsing>boolean>true

content.max.tokenizing.time>integer>2250000

content.notify.backoffcount>integer>5

content.notify.interval>integer>750000

content.notify.ontimer>boolean>true

content.switch.threshold>integer>30000

pref.advanced.javascript.disable_button.advanced>boolean>false

these settings should help in solving your problem.

You might want to do a clean re-install of Firefox and Java first , then do these.

edit..you DID check for viruses / spyware ..did scandisk.. etc...right?

Edited by MikeyHunt

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also recommend these Firefox memory tweaks:

browser.cache.memory.capacity>integer>16384 [set this to a lower value if you have insufficient about of physical RAM on your machine; or set this value higher such as 32768 if you have lots of RAM installed, 512 megs or more]

config.trim_on_minimize>boolean>true

browser.sessionhistory.max_entries>integer>20 or 30

browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers>integer>0