Which Start menu do you like better?

Dblake1

Startmenu Poll  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the startmenu do you like better?

• XP
    • Vista
    • Classic
  2. 2. If XP Startmenu, why?

• Usability
    • Looks
    • User-friendlyness
    • I chose the Vista start menu
    • I chose the Classic start menu
  3. 3. If Vista Startmenu, why?

• New search bar
    • New looks
    • Alpha fade on roll-over
    • I chose the XP start menu
    • I chose the Classic start menu

I prefer the Start Menu in Windows Vista over the Start Menu in Windows XP because of the search functionality and the sorting order of files and folders. However, I prefer the easy of use of creating new folders in the Start Menu in Windows XP. Also, the recently used programs in Windows XP doesn't get cleared after a while like in Windows Vista. In other words, it's hard to choose between the two, but if I have to choose, based on the easy of use, I would go for the Start Menu in Windows XP. I wish they would fix the "flaws" which I mentioned above for the Start Menu in Windows Vista, which would make it the winner for me.

Hey, was wondering if any of you could help? I recently formatted (been a long time) and reinstalled with the second refresh of sp3. I decided to go with using the classic start menu again and I dropped some links (on the top part) and I would like them to expand but I don't remember what to click to make it do that, or is there? Not super important just kind of nagging at me, I have complete Object Desktop and Object Dock so I have plenty of shortcuts anyway but between all the Windows settings, Tweakui, and Stardock I can't remember how to make these folders expand!

gtrz, make a topic in the beta section about it or wait 2 weeks to post in the XP section.

On topic: I use the classic menu with small icons as it’s direct and faster than any other menu style. I use my taskbar to the left by the way, so I can place more tasks on the taskbar ;).

gtrz, make a topic in the beta section about it or wait 2 weeks to post in the XP section.

Sorry didn't mean to put it off topic. My question was about a function/non function of the classic start menu, since I just started using it again and since the start menu was being discussed however me using xp sp3 was just background, as far as I know the classic start menu isn't changed in xp sp3, no? I'm not asking any beta related question so why would I need to wait to pose this little question? No hostility or tension intended. :)

SP3 is still beta (public yes), that´s why ;).

So, if you have question about function/non function of SP3 and the start menu, it´s better to post there as not much people will answer it in this topic.

What you do here is called "hi-jacking a topic". :sneaky:

Preferring the XP bar is a cop out, yes, Vista is new and different (people hate that) but that new search bar is the best thing added to Windows in a long time. Let's be honest here people, 99% of Windows users are everyday Joes, and I'll bet you when they clicked Search in the XP or 2000 bar, they didn't realize it was about filenames and the list of questions on the left side are kind of pointless. All these users wanted to know is "where is that calculator".

No I don't think the Vista bar is perfect, actually I hate the new scrolling system of folders, but the Search Bar is the best thing since the Start bar.

Everybody knows how web search engines work, and that's how an OS search should work. I want to be able to type in "video" and get all videos on my system, not all the files/folders with the name video.

As this search matures, it will have help and such, it makes perfect sense for somebody to just type "error 1234" and expect internal help & MS knowledge base articles appear on that matter.

The fact MS is going with a SQL based file system that won't be displayed in a folder hierarchy shows even MS realizes the concept of folders in folders is as outdated UI to browse a massive storage device. Yes, the actual stored may be composed of folders, but why does John Doe care, all he knows is he has a bunch of documents, MP3s, videos, etc, and with today's CPU power, amount of ram and massive HDs makes the whole folder thing show it's age.

:thumbup Well Said!

Preferring the XP bar is a cop out, yes, Vista is new and different (people hate that) but that new search bar is the best thing added to Windows in a long time. Let's be honest here people, 99% of Windows users are everyday Joes, and I'll bet you when they clicked Search in the XP or 2000 bar, they didn't realize it was about filenames and the list of questions on the left side are kind of pointless. All these users wanted to know is "where is that calculator".

No I don't think the Vista bar is perfect, actually I hate the new scrolling system of folders, but the Search Bar is the best thing since the Start bar.

Everybody knows how web search engines work, and that's how an OS search should work. I want to be able to type in "video" and get all videos on my system, not all the files/folders with the name video.

As this search matures, it will have help and such, it makes perfect sense for somebody to just type "error 1234" and expect internal help & MS knowledge base articles appear on that matter.

The fact MS is going with a SQL based file system that won't be displayed in a folder hierarchy shows even MS realizes the concept of folders in folders is as outdated UI to browse a massive storage device. Yes, the actual stored may be composed of folders, but why does John Doe care, all he knows is he has a bunch of documents, MP3s, videos, etc, and with today's CPU power, amount of ram and massive HDs makes the whole folder thing show it's age.

Oh so they are now returning to using the keyboard and that's a good thing? After remotes and media centers/HTPCs took some ground?

GL

Ah, I didn't see this at first. So the CPU power/RAM/HDDs should be used for searching/indexing documents, MP3s, videos instead of playing/editing them?

GL

fwiw, I prefer Classic. Not that I'm adverse to change or something new, but when it comes to the desktop/menu I don't need a lot of eye candy. I just need it to work. If I was not in IT it would probably be different, but then again I'm one of those 4 bit color guys. There is no such color as teal, it's green people.

As for the folder UI being a thing of the past, again it depends on the needs of the user. There is no good or bad when it comes to UI design, just what works for a specific application. I would hate to not be able to organize my stuff and just crossed my fingers hoping the search feature actually found what I needed. imho, the Vista menu, and to some extent XP menu, caters to a group of users that want a good balance of color and style that provide the functionality to meet their needs. I'm not like that, so Classic suits me jsut fine even though it will probably be killed off in the next iteration.