Steady State

AO3

I have a client that runs a cyber cafe. They want to be able to reboot a cpu after a client is done using the cpu. In order to return it to a default state. This way any changes to OS, virus, etc... are removed. I know Steady State is one program that will do this. Does anyone know of any other programs? Client is running Win xp.

Edited by AO3

most of the solutions i found cost money except for the MS software. is there a particular reason you don't want to use steady state, or are you more interested in just seeing what's out there?

AFAIK, the only options available that will do that are DeepFreeze or steadystate. steadystate is good stuff its kinda like a very basic version of Deepfreeze with a 'Group policys for dummies' interface as a bonus. for a small cafe setting, Steadystate is the best option. If you are going to scale up past 30 workstations deepfreeze has a few features that will help.

the only other option that comes to mind would be using a linux+vmware+Xp type situation but unless youve got a linux guru hanging around, setting one up might be overkill.

I've never actually used this program (ShadowSurfer), but it is still free:

http://www.msfn.org/board/ShadowSurfer-free-t80337.html

Stop pop-ups, spyware, viruses and unwanted internet cookies before they ever need to be removed. While other utilities can only try and reverse or remove unwanted software changes to your computer, ShadowSurfer™ stops them before they ever become a problem! Plus with ShadowSurfer you can surf the net with complete privacy -- no tracks left behind.

ShadowSurfer ShadowMode™ provides a safe computing environment by creating a virtual twin of your PC. Restore the pre-ShadowMode state of your computer no matter what changes have occurred.

Thanks for the ideas. I was just looking for what else was out there. My client sets up cafe's during shows at conventions. So they are only running for 3 to 7 days. He all ways has problem with someone downloading a program or file with virus or spyware. That then causes the computer to run slow or crash. And no I can not lockout the users. People still need to legit download a file they left at work etc... It looks like useing steady state to lock the system down will be the best way to go.