• Features
    • I selected Vista
  3. 3. If Vista, Why?

• Performance
    • Compatibilities
    • Looks
    • Features
    • I selected XP

is it true that since i need to "hack" to enable ACHI on XP, the performance will take a hit? from http://www.msfn.org/board/enable-AHCI-Inte...XP-t109450.html

It's not a "hack," it's just a registry edit to allow Windows to recognize the driver at boot. It's functionally no different than loading the driver from a floppy during installation.

Edited by jrf2027

This would explain the poll:

Vista is like the pretty broad with an empty head, that constantly argues with you.

XP is like the homely maid that will do your dishes, clean your apartment, and cook dinner in record time.

is this another one of those purposely biased polls or just broken?

XP or Vista

XP

Vista

If XP, why?

Performance

Compatibilities

If Vista, Why?

Performance

Compatibilities

Looks

i selected the bolded options and got:

You did not choose a poll choice to vote against. Please go back and ensure you click on one of the radio buttons next to the choice you wish to vote for

plus when you say compatibilities i think you mean capabilities. In my experience Vista will run anything XP can with very few exceptions.

XP

Performance

Compatabilities

I Chose XP

I'd rather use XP. It's faster and better performing on my quad system than Vista is. Vista just got on my nerves too much especially when I encountered that out of memory while copying files bug.

I do find it strange that people would pick "looks" as a main reason for using Vista though. I don't get why people want looks over functionality.

I do find it strange that people would pick "looks" as a main reason for using Vista though. I don't get why people want looks over functionality.

I prefer Vista over XP but around the office I never call it Vista i call it 'Windows XP Shiny Edition'

with sp1 now available for vista, vista looks and feels more better than xp, only problem is file copying is still a pain, and improves with sp1 only by a little margin, apart from that, its performs and responses better than xp, unless your on a old basic pc spec, then do expect sluggish performance as vista requires more power. (new os = more processing and memory)

with sp1 now available for vista, vista looks and feels more better than xp, only problem is file copying is still a pain, and improves with sp1 only by a little margin, apart from that, its performs and responses better than xp, unless your on a old basic pc spec, then do expect sluggish performance as vista requires more power. (new os = more processing and memory)

How do you measure better? Is it faster? Any tests? From what I've seen on the Web (which need not necessarily be true) XP is faster than Vista on same hardware (either new or old).

GL

I personally would much prefer to use Vista, but unfortunately, SP1 doesn't play nice with Skype, so I'm stuck with XP.

Before I started using Skype, Vista had always been stable for me, and in the year+ that I used it, I only had 1 BSOD, and that was a bad video driver early on. I can't say the same for XP, which crashes on me fairly often.

How do you measure better? Is it faster? Any tests? From what I've seen on the Web (which need not necessarily be true) XP is faster than Vista on same hardware (either new or old).

GL

yes true, either old or new pc, for raw speed xp is faster. the only way to measure speed is by benchmarking, but thats long. from what i've read from website reviews is that vista is more responsive and runs more smoothly than xp, and in my experience thats exactly what it does. the only downside of vista is gaming performance and some application compatibility which is going to be improved for sure with future patches. also remember after xp sp3 MS will drop support for xp sooner or later, which means clearly vista is the way forward as it has improved with sp1, and do expect more improvement in future, specially on compatibility and performance side.

check this link out

http://wannabegeek.org/index.php/Vista/Vis...-86-faster.html

The way I see it, microsoft's way forward is pay per hour usage. That's why they've been training (brainwashing) us with increased product activation and OS covert communication with M$ servers. They even have one version that does that (pay per hour) in non-US/European markets. XP had around 14 points of 'phoning home' (as seen by XP AntiSpy; without WGA). Who can count them in Vi$ta?

@shahed26: When it comes down to the article you're pointing out, I'm very reluctant to trust 'independent' tech sites and bloggers after I learned how much money M$ pays to journalists. Even the title itself is telling - UP TO 86% faster?! What is this? A soap commercial?! Even Mark Russinovich of microsoft admitted in his blog (that is mentioned in the article) that in some cases there are speedups, but there are slowdowns in other places.

I ask: why was all this rewrite (of fundamental file operations) and reshuffle (of the UI) necessary? If the hardware has grown faster, just write new driver for that hardware and/or increase the buffers (as mentioned in the excerpt from Russinovich blog). Vista should have been SP3 for XP, given away for free.

But, of course, microsoft needs to make money, so we'll have to weed out parts of this insanity... Long live Nuhi! :)

GL

@shahed26: When it comes down to the article you're pointing out, I'm very reluctant to trust 'independent' tech sites and bloggers after I learned how much money M$ pays to journalists. Even the title itself is telling - UP TO 86% faster?! What is this? A soap commercial?! Even Mark Russinovich of microsoft admitted in his blog (that is mentioned in the article) that in some cases there are speedups, but there are slowdowns in other places.

I now read the article in full and it appears not to be what I judged by the title - it's somewhot constructive. I appologise if I was too hasty, but that's the case in today's perception of the news articles - we tend to glimpse them over and not read fully.

However, I still consider the article biased - they took the largest number and slapped it in the title?! (Or was it just the editor? Maybe only he has a fatter wallet now :) )

Oh, and the article is not from the site you linked - they just copied it. Look at your site's top 10 downloads. ;)

GL