complete nlite beginner

evanl5988

hello, i just downloaded nlite and was wondering what kind of performance increases u guys see after using your slimmed down versions of xp?

how fast could u get ur windows startup to get?

do applications load faster?

also, i was wondering if there was a list or something that helps guide people on what things can be safely removed and what does what. is there such a post?

boot speed really comes down to you hardware, im new to this and only creating my first custom windows now..

i'll get back to you and let you know my exp with this..

its windows so 90% should be removed lol

im removing just about everything i wont have time to make a list, but should this work i'll try and give you an idea of what i ripped out...

i only use for web/movies/web design/gaming... so crap like notepad and along those lines are going out the window (yayy another windows joke :( ...)

anyway creating now and formating in about 1 hour.. i'll create a thread based on my exp and link you up

best way to test is to install virtualbox and 'mount' the iso that you create with nlite in it

virtualbox is a program that lets you run a 'pc within your pc' so to speak

emulators will not give you accurate boot time indications, nor will they provide any accurate performance measures, and boot time DOES NOT depend on your hardware, not even your hard disk speed, or cpu speed for that matter, more importantly, boot time does not represent system performance, but one thing is for sure - the more files you delete, the faster is BOTH your system AND your boot times

boot time DOES NOT depend on your hardware, not even your hard disk speed, or cpu speed for that matter

To some extent it sure does! But an optimized system may very well beat a system that is faster on paper.

the more files you delete, the faster is BOTH your system AND your boot times

Not completely true, deleting the wrong files will actually slow down your PC! That is because it will waste resources and time waiting/looking for files that's expected to be there but are not, it won't just skip them and move on immediately, but rather keep trying for a while.

I agree, NOTHING is completely true when running something that you did not write yourself.

as for waiting/looking for files - that is where Deleted Edition's anti-dll-loading technology comes in

But an optimized system may very well beat a system that is faster on paper.

thell me about it, I got a P3 500 mhz that smokes the newest systems, like my core 2 3880 mhz, of corse not when it comes to performance tests, but GUI and boot, is faster, just until I get to delete it as much as possible

Edited by monohouse

From my experience, keeping your system clean will have you much more performance gain than removing as much as you can with nLite. You cannot compare a system that's running full XP since a year with tons of installed programs and a fresh nLited XP, of course there is no comparaison. But a fresh standard XP and nLited? Not much difference (I'm NOT talking "install time" here). Boot time is decreased by tweaking your BIOS as well. Performance by loading only what you need, keeping programs from "automatically update trough the Internet", having the good drivers, defrag regularly, use an antivirus that doesn't eat all your CPU time, turn off bells and wistles, clean your temp, etc. Not by removing notepad then have to reinstall Windows because you actually needed it.

Unless installing on very weak hardware, getting rid of everything is not an achievement IMHO. It's been said time and time again, people should only remove what they are sure they will never use/need. The forum is full of people doing the opposite and asking for help.

to all who said hardware means bugga all with boot speed, well in general your correct... BUT (lol)

when i wrote my post above i was very tired and wasn't very clear when i said "HARDWARE" below is what i had in mind, i was about to buy one of these as 4 gig ram here easily under $100-, but my HDD packed up and i had to buy a new one..

before you view this if you havn't already seen these around (now would be a good time to hide your wallets)

product: Gigabyte Iram

- $160 (AUD) pricetag so not to bad.. + ram 4g= $100-(AUD)

4 second boot: power on to windows ready

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1PiYgBhAkAM

anyway for more on that google "gigabyte iram"

To "bledd" THANK YOU for your VirtualBOX tip working a charm.. i can now test alot quicker (i highly recommend this)

Edited by x1x9x8x1

monohouse, i was simply suggesting using virtualbox for testing (so he can begin to figure out which components he needs, without spending more time burning to disc, and using another machine (or formatting his main machine)

virtualbox is perfect for testing like this