Vista TCPIP.SYS patch thread

[TiLT]

Maybe we can pool the data here for easy addition to vLite?

I'll start it off. The patches are for enabling

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]

"TcpNumConnections"=dword:X

version 6.0.6000.16627 x86

7F 7A -> [@ 0x140]
A9 91

0F 87 8B 00 00 00 -> [@ 0x3F4B9]
90 90 90 90 90 90

version 6.0.6001.18000 x86

28 75 0E -> [@ 0x140]
40 9F 0D

0F 87 8B 00 00 00 -> [@ 0x4C59E]
90 90 90 90 90 90

EDIT: Well, I don't have SP1 installed yet...but if it really does have the same driver verification that x64 has then you can consider it a big NM to this idea.

Edited by [TiLT]

No plans. Mainly because I don't see the point.

Did you experience some speedup or what, I don't see any issues with it being at default?

I know there are indications in the Event Log but so what, set your download app to use less half-opened connections.

No plans. Mainly because I don't see the point.

Did you experience some speedup or what, I don't see any issues with it being at default?

I know there are indications in the Event Log but so what, set your download app to use less half-opened connections.

It makes a HUGE difference when downloading t0rr3nts with lots of users on it. I've done extensive testing by rebooting back and forth between patched/unpatched tcpip.sys files and loading up the same t0rr3nt which has thousands of seeds/peers. After 1-2 minutes my 400 connections are maxed out with patched tcpip.sys. With unpatched I'm lucky to be maxed after 2-3 hours. So instead of downloading at 2 megabytes a second right off the bat, I have to wait hours to pick up speed. These results are the same in xp or vista, but no one seems to be patching the x64 SP1 tcpip.sys file.

Edited by arfett

arfett, hm ok, will not promise it but it will be deep in todo.

You can get patched tcpip for XP with nLite. Just extract the tcpip.sy_ from amd64 folder after it is done.

To simplify versioning issues take the tcpip.sys from the running xp install, makecab it, then overwrite the one in the installation cd so that nlite patches that exact version. Then extract it back.

arfett, hm ok, will not promise it but it will be deep in todo.

You can get patched tcpip for XP with nLite. Just extract the tcpip.sy_ from amd64 folder after it is done.

To simplify versioning issues take the tcpip.sys from the running xp install, makecab it, then overwrite the one in the installation cd so that nlite patches that exact version. Then extract it back.

It's not a big deal, but it is really annoying waiting hours to download something that should take minutes with the speed of my internet connection. If you have it on your to do list anytime in the future that would be cool though. I already have patched files for xp and I did for vista, but since SP1 has come out seems like the patchers have given up on 64 bit.

I keep hearing people say the patched files are not necessary in vista because the tcpip tuning does this automatically, but I don't buy it after going back and forth in xp and vista 20 times and getting the same results in both operating systems.

Edited by arfett

Sounds interesting will have to give it a try. I currently get anywhere from 300KB/sec to 920KB/sec on torentz, just depends which torentt but it does take about 15 minutes to reach those speeds. Does it work on Vista SP1 64bit?

Edited by OliverBGD

Implementing this patch would be great. I'm having a lot of issues with this Event, since I pretty use torrents. And when problem appear, I can not use Web Browser any more, it can not open any page, and only solution is Computer restart which is very annoying since this event appears very often.

Cheers ;)

I would agree that the performance is greatly improved. I haven't done any extensive testing, but I do notice network performance improvements when the tcpip.sys is patched. I have also patched it on a few of my friends machines, and they notice improvements as well.

The only trouble I see is patching the tcpip.sys for the 64 bit version. From my tests, you can still bypass the driver signature check on boot in SP1. I do know there was something called the "ReadyDriver" that was able to automate the process of selecting the option on boot, but I'm not sure if it has been updated for SP1. I'm not sure if it can easily be implemented in Vlite, but I'm willing to guess it's possible.

• 2 weeks later...

This should REALLY be implanted!

We've got it in nLite, and we should have it in vLite as well..

Why?

Because it's **** annoying been capped at 10 connections, it completely destroys the potential of my DGL-4500 router and fiber optic line!

This is one of the main reasons why I haven't started with vLite yet, and are staying with XP and nLite because this TCPIP patch isn't implanted in vLite yet. And you should really do it, and that rather quick! It's one of the best patches there is!

This "torrentz" trash talk is leading to something els...

Anyways OSS often have DDL links or am I wrong?

I know that OSS is now slowly using torrent trackers for distro, but the fact that your referring to "that" is just lame. Oh and btw, OSS trackers often have flexible 100mbit/10mbit affilis. Just look at Ubunto for example.

So what's the point in having a TCPIP patch, unless your not gonna use it for something good or legal?

Edited by Chrno

The torrent protocol is used for much more than illegal downloads..

Like the huge 4 - 10GB Age of Conan BETA patches I have to download every week for example, or all the stuff hosted on NRK (Norwegian TV-channel) is using torrent.

There are also lots of other legal stuff you can download with torrent, especially huge files I prefer to get through torrent as it is much faster..