Can't install USB devices that use virtual serial drivers

Dobby

I've narrowed it down to a Services component. If I don't remove any services components then I can install my touchscreen and Car2PC adapter (for connecting to my car headunit). If I select all non-critical services for removal then I get the problem. Also, if I disable all services (after not removing them) then the drivers still install and work fine.

The hardware install wizards all complain that there was a problem with the INF file but this appears to be a red herring.

I could remove each service until I find the one that causes the problem but thought I'd ask before attempting this laborious task!

I suppose a likely candidate would be "Universal Plug and Play Device Host". So I'll start with that.

BTW this is for my quest to find the minimal CarPC XP install (In case any was wondering!)

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by Dobby

UPNP is used in networks, doubtful that it would help.

Sorry but in Services there is nothing that rings the bell for that situation.

Either keep them or try the 50/50 rule.

And btw newest nlite 1.4.5b2 is recommended.

• 1 year later...

AGlobalThreatsK, we will take a look, so, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Wondering: is a USB serial port different than a USB?

Yes it is completely different than USB. It's basically a VIRTUAL serial port, meaning you're sending serial port signals over a USB connection. It acts like a serial port, even though it's a regular USB port+cable (Thats just the way the hardware and software was designed). USB is on both ends, its basically just replicating a serial port. I'm not quite sure what it needs from nlite besides the obvious serial and usb support.

Uses these drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I still have to do more troubleshooting (Double checking with a different laptop and then I'll be trying a different nlited xp to see if it works with the other version). I'm not really going to be able to find out exactly what service is causing the problem, my life is too busy to spend hours troubleshooting a small problem like this.

I'll post more when I find out more, if it works with my other installation Ill also post that lastsession.ini

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by AGlobalThreatsK

AGlobalThreatsK, a major problem is using Vista to build an ISO for XP. This will probably work if you don't integrate an SP, but you have included SP3. You have also included only text mode drivers. This my be OK if you are installing drivers for your USB Serial device after Windows installation. I would suggest you try running nLite under XP, or not including an SP and see if that works - assumes your drivers are installed outside of nLite. Enjoy, John.

Yes I install the drivers after windows has started. I think I used 7x64 to make these disks. I need the service packs so I can at least use internet explorer 7 and wmp11, unless there's some way to use internet explorer 7 or 8 and wmp11 WITHOUT needing a service pack (That would be awesome).

AGlobalThreatsK, what SP does your original CD contain? If it is at least SP2, then do some research (MS DL Center) and see if you can get by without SP3. You can, of course, add SPs after installation and IE 7 or 8 and WMP11. I am curious what this means?

I think I used 7x64 to make these disks.
Enjoy, John.

I was on Windows 7 64-Bit when I made this disk

Original CD I was using has NO service packs, I thought that was what was recommended to start with..

Won't adding service packs AFTER installation take up more space/leave more old files behind when compared with a Slipstreamed SP3 XP installation?

I know IE7 requires at least SP2, I think WMP11 is the same. If I could get IE7 or IE8 and WMP11 on XP with no service packs that would be awesome. The only reason I'm using the service packs at all is for IE7 and WMP11.

AGlobalThreatsK, it does not matter what SP is on your original CD. You only need to add the last SP you want, in your case, SP3. I am running XP x64 and one of my CDs has SP1 and the other SP2 (last for XP x64). I think you are correct about needing SP2 for IE7. I also think you are correct that adding SPs after install will cause more clutter on your system. And also you must add SP1, SP2 and SP3 to a running system. One way to get around not having access to an XP machine is to install a virtual system on your Vista machine and install your XP on it. You then use it to run nLite and create your XP ISO. VMware Server, VirtualPC and VIrtualBox are all free. A virtual system is also a great test bed - would not be without. It would take some work, but cost nothing. Is it not possible to find a system running XP that you could use to make your CD? Good luck, John.

I'm a computer technician, I have many test computers just laying around to experiment with. I just made a Vlited 7 64-bit RC1 today and installed it on one of the test computers. Ive used VirtualPC before but much prefer just using a 2nd computer. I have 2 monitors/keyboards/mice on my desk at all times, so its no problem for me to hook up a 2nd computer, and I still have this computer to do research/download drivers/etc while the other is being worked on.

I wasn't aware that making the nlited XP installation on XP/Vista/7 would have different results, I figured it would be the same no matter what operating system you were currently running while making the ISO.

And also for the "only text-mode drivers", thats what I was instructed to use when I slipstreamed the SATA drivers. It's been working perfect, I thought that was the correct way to install them?

AGlobalThreatsK, nLite uses the OS slipstream method to integrate SPs and apparently that does not work correctly under Vista or 7 for XP ISOs. There is an MS KB950722 about this problem. It does not look directly applicable, but many people have had problems with XP SPs under Vista. The reason I mentioned 'text mode only' drivers was because you can include regular drivers and most people do. I plan on including all the drivers I can when I do my next build - chip set, video card, audio chip, etc. Enjoy, John.