HFSLIP64 v1.1.5 released

Tomcat76

Ok.

I'm very busy right now, but as son as I have some free time, i'll test it.

Wait a minute? MRT.ex_ or MRT.EXE????

I put MRT.EXE in HF, I dind't rename or compress it...

nevermind, it was already compressed.

thx!

PD: I did the mod, now I'm installing (got a few minutes)

Edited by jvidal

One last question, and pardon if I have I asked this before. Does triedit.dl_ exist anywhere in the sourcess directory? At one point I thought you said it did and another time I thought you said it didn't.

I was able to borrow an x64 disk and tested hfslip64 with it but didn't install it. I have triedit.dl_ in sourcess\amd64 at the end. Very strange. True I do not have all the hotfixes you list, but the file is there. I'm not sure how to address the copy issue you are having. Maybe as a workaround, and as a rather poor bandaid, create a folder called replace\amd64 and put a cabbed version of triedit.dl_ there. Or maybe perhaps your HFSLIP64_POST_DelObsBin.cmd in hftools is trying to delete it for you? I don't know dude. In any event, please double check that HFSLIP64_POST_DelObsBin.cmd file, or maybe delete it all together. If things work nicely, your WU should be satisfied. Hope she works....

that's weird, maybe I have an obsolete ver. of HFSLIP64_POST_DelObsBin.cmd.

Read what I wrote a few posts back. After re-compressing driver.cab, the script deletes a bunch of files it renders "obsolete binaries" (for some reason), one of them being "triedit.dl*", that is triedit.dll AND triedit.dl_...

I'll check the file and try your latest beta.

thanx again!

Edit: I checked and in fact, it deletes all instances of triedit.*. I edited and removed references to triedit, let's se what happens.

I attached it for you to analyze it.

Edit2: Should I put mrt.exe in HF or is hfslip able to decompress it from kb890830?

BTW,the attached files is the unmodded ver.

HFSLIP64_POST_DelObsBin.cmd

Edited by jvidal

Yes, you're right. Right after the driver cab generation the script process the post-cmd files. It just so happens that your post-cmd file deletes triedit and a mess of other files too. Remove that cmd file and you'll be fine. A couple of extra files in the sourcess won't kill you.

Oh, you need mrt in HF. Nothing else needs to be done. HFSLIP can't decompress it, unless you can find a switch for it.

Wow! finally! with the modded delobs...blablabla.cmd there was no triedit error!

On the other hand, MU still wanted MRT (I removed mrt.exe from HF. It seems hfslip can not handle 890830 and MRT.exe needs to be manually uncompressed and placed in HF)

I tried with expand.exe, extrac32.exe, but couldn't find a suitable switch/command line. of course, running hfslip on an x64 os would make the /x switch useful.

I decompress it with winrar, it's just a regular self-extracting cab archive. the problem is that it is a 64-bit binary (unlike all the other hotfixes, weird).

Alright, I finally got it: this command does the trick:

7z x windows-kb890830-x64-v3.1.exe mrt.exe (and if you want it quiet, add >nul at the end). you can direct the outpur to another folder using the "-o{folder}"

switch.

(tested it, works)

this is just an example, you might wanna send it to another folder and recompress it to mrt.ex_ using makecab.

You need to put 7z.exe in hftools (if you don't have it already in %programfiles%\7-zip, in that case, you don't need to do anything).

the script could check for the presence of 7z.exe, if it's present, then use it to extract mrt.exe. if it's not present, then look directly for mrt.exe and use it.

If none of those conditions apply, then just skip MRT slipstreaming. how'bout that?

there's nothing strange about this, since hfslip already relies on external utilities to perform certain actions.

Edited by jvidal

what about this?

7z x -owork\mrt windows-kb890830-x64-v3.1.exe mrt.exe

cd work\mrt

makecab mrt.exe mrt.ex_

move mrt.ex_ sourcess\AMD64

and then add the line to txtsetup.sif

(probably needs some tweaking, but you get the idea)

It's probably easiest to just place mrt.exe into the HF folder.

Personally I do not think that MRT does anything to the system other than take up filespace. The OS does not call MRT or run MRT. The only thing MRT.exe is used for is to keep WU happy. This is why I classify it as a worthless junk update. If the same issue was for a critical update, then updating the script would be needed. For now though, I think all is fine. The intent of slipstreaming critical hotfixes is done.

I think we should be good to go at this point.

I know. You're right, it's just to keep MU quiet.

I still have to test the very latest CD I slipstreamed, but I think everything should be fine.

Again, I can't thank you enough.

(maybe now that we made such a good team, we could look into IE8 support for win2k3 in regular hfslip :-) )

bye!

The code for the old hfslip is quite larger, so I would expect more trouble. So far, there aren't many requests for ie8 in 2k3 server. As FDV would say - a server OS should be just that, a server. Why should it have a unsercure browswer on it? Let it rest for a bit, I have some real life tasks to take care of besides this.

LMK if all installs fine on a real machine. I'll post a new final.

The link provided for hfslip64-v1.1.4.zip is broken! It leads to:

That page was not found.

If you feel this is an error on our part, please leave a message on the HFSLIP support forum; let us know which operating system and browser you are using as well as information about any proxy or firewall software you are running.

The error has been reported with the following data:

IP: ***.***.***.***

Host: ********.******.com.br

Request: /64/files/stable/hfslip64-v1.1.4.zip

Referrer: http://hfslip.org/64/H64_downloads.html

Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; FDM; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0)

Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 5:53:24 pm EST

Maybe you would like to go back or go home?

Please update the page http://hfslip.org/64/H64_downloads.html to include the correct link.

It would be useful if the page could provide a direct link!

Thanks!

Edited by hfuria