HFSLIP64 v1.1.5 released

Tomcat76

A couple of notes on IE8....

1) Because IE8 is still in beta, its handling by HFSLIP64 may change when a newer version of IE8 is released

2) IE8 is slow to start the first time

3) If you want to check the Windows installation with Microsoft Update, click the "Emulate IE7" button on IE8's tab bar, click OK, close all Internet Explorer windows and then go to Microsoft Update (in whichever way you prefer). This is necessary because Microsoft Update doesn't support IE8.... Too standards-compliant, maybe? :P

4) Don't slipstream IE8 beta 1 for anything else than testing purposes; future betas, release candidates and finals of IE8 may not be able to correctly update a source that has a previous version of IE8 installed

Edited by Tomcat76

Server 2003 ia64 is theoretically supported but it hasn't been tested yet.

If no SP*.cat file is found, HFSLIP64 assumes the source is at SP1 (which is OK for x64). However, SP1 has never been tested either so if any extra hard-coding needs to be done for that (eg, if new binaries need to be copied into non-standard locations) then it's not supported. It's up to you, but I wouldn't bother creating a list for SP1 (certainly not now).

Hi Tomcat76,

Firstly, Great work. :thumbup Good to see you supporting 64 bit as well. Tested on XP and 2003s/2003e, all integrates fine with WU only asking for KB943729 GPO Extensions.

I've noticed a minor bug, on the 2003 Server Builds that 3 Administrative Tools shortcuts are not created. This happens with both the 64bit and 32bit builds.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

Remote Desktops.lnk (tsmmc.msc /s)

Terminal Services Configuration.lnk (tscc.msc /s)

Terminal Services Manager.lnk (tsadmin.exe)

You can still run the apps from Start|Run just the shortcuts are gone.

Cheers

7yler

Some interesting 64bit info ...

I've been using WPI to install apps, and using IF "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="AMD64" to identify 64bit Windows, now I've been pulling my hair our wondering why its not working.

During installation certain variables are not defined correctly, they change after first logon.

During Installation:

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86

PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432=AMD64

ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files (x86)

ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)

ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files (Think it was this - Can't remember)

After Installation (First Logon):

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64

PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432= (Does not exist)

ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files

ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)

ProgramW6432= (Does not exist)

This is a real pain, least I know now and can use:

IF DEFINED ProgramFiles(x86) echo hello AMD64

Hope this info is of interest, its not caused by HFSLIP, its good old Microsoft.

7yler

Tested on XP and 2003s/2003e, all integrates fine with WU only asking for KB943729 GPO Extensions.
You need to use the latest version; the one offered on the Download Center is a month older than the one Windows Update wants you to have. There is a direct link to the newer version on the hotfix list for XP SP2 x64.
I've noticed a minor bug, on the 2003 Server Builds that 3 Administrative Tools shortcuts are not created. This happens with both the 64bit and 32bit builds.
This is caused by the new mstsc.exe binary. HFSLIP64 version 1.1.1 works around this by having Windows setup replace the old file at T-13. This is also done for XP in case there are more problems with the new file that are not as apparent.

Version 1.1.1 also relocates the Remote Desktop Connection shortcut to the Accessories group. This is done in the same way as when you install KB925876-v2 manually, using tscupdatecustom.dll, to make it language-independent. This means it's safe for Japanese sources as well. This file is slipstreamed as TSCUPD.DLL and is placed in the temporary %WINDIR%\HFSLIP folder during Windows setup so you won't have it on your system when setup has finished.

Nice, HFSLIP64 1.1.1 works great all shortcuts are created.

HFSLIP 1.7.5 for x32 has the same problem when you have some time. :rolleyes:

You need to use the latest version; the one offered on the Download Center is a month older than the one Windows Update wants you to have. There is a direct link to the newer version on the hotfix list for XP SP2 x64.

I checked both the hotfix list and http://hfslip.org/64/ and I can't see the link to KB943729 GPO Extensions, if you can post the link that would be great.

Thanks again for the quick script update.

Running HFSLIP64 on a 32-bit platfrom doesn't cause any problems?

I once tried integrating HFs and IE7+WMP11 with nlite and it didn't work, I HAD to run it on windows x64.

Running HFSLIP64 on a 32-bit platfrom doesn't cause any problems?

No problems, it works great.

I once tried integrating HFs and IE7+WMP11 with nlite and it didn't work, I HAD to run it on windows x64.

I've tryed integrating HF and IE7+WMP11 with nlite in the past with no problems. Also tryed RyanVM 64bit packs with RVMi, also no issues.

I prefer HFSLIP/HFSLIP64 as i find them to be more flexible, and have more control over what I want to do.

I've run all these tool on my main box, which is XP 32bit.

Hope this helps.

I'm getting a folder in Program Files(x86) called Windows Media Player[strings] and it has on compressed file inside. Seems out of place to me.
As far as I know, this is correct. A search on the Internet reveils that "Windows Media Player[strings]" is an existing subfolder of the 32-bit Program Files folder. BTW... npds.zip is a Netscape 4 Java plugin that's used for scripted interaction with Windows Media Player 6.4 (LiveConnect).

I was looking on Google if anyone else had this "problem".

Part of mplayer2.inf looks like this by default:

[DestinationDirs]

wWMPCopy.Core.uni=16426,Windows Media Player

wWMPDelete.URLs=16426,Windows Media Player

wWMPCopy.Plugin=16426,Windows Media Player[strings]

KEY_DXMEDIA="Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\DirectXMedia"

KEY_NETSHOW = "Software\Microsoft\NetShow\Player"

KEY_FILETYPEDB = "Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\MPlayer2"

KEY_WMP = "Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer"

KEY_ACTIVESETUP = "Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components"

DSHOW_GUID = "{22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95}"

It should be:

[DestinationDirs]

wWMPCopy.Core.uni=16426,Windows Media Player

wWMPDelete.URLs=16426,Windows Media Player

wWMPCopy.Plugin=16426,Windows Media Player

[strings]

KEY_DXMEDIA="Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\DirectXMedia"

KEY_NETSHOW = "Software\Microsoft\NetShow\Player"

KEY_FILETYPEDB = "Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\MPlayer2"

KEY_WMP = "Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer"

KEY_ACTIVESETUP = "Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components"

DSHOW_GUID = "{22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95}"

Because the inf is supposed to have a [strings] section.

I did a search on Google for "Windows Media Player[strings]" and this thread, a spyware forum thread, and one of those pages that puts random text related to nothing you were searching for, were the only results. I fixed it myself and placed a new mplayer2.inf on my XP x64 CD (happens in Server and XP x64).

Edited by redxii